Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 2
Hey all. We're having some issues with whistle pigs! These darn ground-hogs have burrowed under our shed, and we can't extricate them. Does anybody have a live trap we can borrow for relocation?
Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 5
Or even an alternative to getting them to leave? I've lost all of my wild celery thus far. :-(
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,196
Seems like it's a combination approach with woodchucks. Yes, a hav-a-heart trap is one piece. I know some people who use humanure compost in the burrows as a deterrent. A dog hanging out in the vicinity is another. Some people do barrier plantings of things woodchucks won't like such as daffodils and similar. A big one is to eliminate their favorite nesting sites like under outbuildings (fence openings?) and brush piles.

It seems like you somehow have to smoke this batch out and relocate far, far away then adopt some of the strategic measures.... No one solution.
Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 7
I think you're right. Do they hibernate? We were thinking about waiting till the late fall when they leave (?) and then just reinforcing the heck out of the shed. Its the only place on the property where they can reside. There is just one we now think under the shed, so I would be excited to catch him and cart him off, then do some heavy duty protection. As it is, electricity is around the garden!
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 133
I have a hav-a-hart trap I would be glad to let you use. I remember one year we caught over 20 of the critters and relocated them. Trouble was, they weren't living on our property, we lived near the oil tanks in SoPo and there were hundreds of them there. I'm still in SoPo so am pretty close to you in Westbrook. Call me at 767-5115 and leave a message if I'm not at home.
Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 10
Hey Sue! Just a little update. We managed to get an opossum, but no ground hog yet!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 896
You need to relocate woodchucks far away. Many miles. Be aware that they really smell! Super musky.

David Spahr
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 136
Those possums are some ugly. I hope the woodchuck succumbs!
Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 11
Well, one opossum and one baby skunk later....we got our culprit! At least, we hope its the right one. I had fixed the trap (after the skunk did a number on it) and set it up, but hadn't even baited it. And about an hour ago the whistle pig walked right into it! He's scarier then either of the others!
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 137
Congratulations! :0