align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 53
Common knowledge says that early spring is the best time to plant trees and other woody plants. Local nurseries (Fedco) sales are geared towards that. I've had luck with fall planting over the past few years with apple trees, plums, grapes and some various bushes going into the ground after they've lost their leaves and gone dormant in late Oct- Nov. Fall planting works for me as it opens up a new time slot to do planting, and spreads out that work nicely(spring can be crazy busy!) . Also, spring rains can keep my patch of ground too soggy for good planting conditions late into the season. Any others planning fall planting besides bulbs?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 897
I put peach seeds in buckets of dirt in the fall and leave them out all winter and fish out the sprouts in the spring. Any wild plant seeds you may plant are probably better sown in fall.

David Spahr
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 54
Do you crack open the pits? I've been saving peach pits from some local 'Reliance' peaches for propagating, and also plan on doing a winter planting of some Ashworth hazelbert nuts I've gotten off our bushes. Last fall I also dug up some of my comfrey plantings, took out some roots, and then planted root sections in new areas by opening up the sod with my spade and inserting the root. Most took and are doing well this year.
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 138
I planted apricots I had picked from a local tree one year. I refrigerated the pits all winter, then in the early spring cracked them open and planted them in jars and left them in the refrigerator for a couple of months. Three out of the six I had planted grew.
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 55
Stratifying seeds with a cold temp cycle by refrigerating is one option. Another is too simply pot them up during fall or winter and leave them outside- as in 'winter sowing'. I did that with a number of plantings I started in December-Mar; potting the seeds and putting them outside in a somewhat protected location. I did mostly herbs, greens, but also some locusts-the honey locust seeds have been popping all summer, but black locust didn't, and I think that it might need either scarification or a hot water treatment to germ.
I do want to try starting stone fruit seeds for next yea: peachs, plums and I'd like to find some cold-hardy apricot seeds...where'd you pick those up, Sue? These are more true breeding and less of a crap-shoot than apple or pear. Save the pits !