The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Portland Food Co-operative

Portland Food Co-operative

Michelle Colleen B...
Portland, ME
Post #: 2

The Portland Food Co-operative is a vision in progress:

-A grocery marketplace that is co-operatively owned by its members.
-A market offering foods and products that meet our standards of being natural, healthy, organic, locally produced, cruelty-free, fair-trade, and/or sustainably produced.
-A business that puts environmental sustainability, local Maine farmers, local economy, the needs and wants of its consumers, and the Portland community before profit.
-A resource center in which to share knowledge and skills.
-A community space that welcomes everyone.

What is your vision? Let's make it a reality!

Come for an informational POTLUCK DINNER. If you're interested, stay for our DEVELOPMENT MEETING and help us organize!

WHEN: 1st & 3rd Sundays of the month. 5pm Potluck. 6pm Meeting. March 18, April 1, April 15, April 29, May 6, May 20...
WHERE: 10 Mayo St. (A Company of Girls Building)
Michelle Colleen B...
Portland, ME
Post #: 3
I was very surprised to learn, when I moved here in August, that there is no food co-operative in Portland.

Portland needs a food co-operative for sooooo many reasons.

Because there is no place for blueberries from California on the shelves at "natural" food stores (Wild Oats and Whole Foods) IN MAINE in the middle of the summer.

Because competition is what keeps corporations meeting the needs and wants on their consumers, and Whole Foods just bought out its competition. We need a food supplier that is wholly accountable to its local consumers and local suppliers....

Because corporate chain grocery stores, no matter how natural and environmentally friendly they claim to be, are not sustainable.

We need a different model.

Hope to see you at a potluck and/or meeting!
A former member
Post #: 8
Though I couldn't make even half of those meetings even if I wanted to since I have all i can mindfully manage already, Francis and I would certainly participate in this great project! Go to it!
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 98
Thanks Michelle - I've added these to the calendar through April....
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi My name is Dean and my wife, Clay and I live in bowdoinham. We run Mother Oven Bakery. We have been talking for a long time about a coop opening in Portland. We are very excited about this possibility. Neither of us can make a sunday meetings. But we are very interested in being kept informed of the progress. Dean
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 106
Dean - Welcome to the group! As you'll find out real quality local food is a very important concept in permaculture. Bringing a strong co-op back to Portland is a big part of this as well.

Thanks for posting and hope to meet you soon!