The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Weathering the Storm? How Did You Do?

Weathering the Storm? How Did You Do?

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,228
I'm curious how people made out around here....near Portland we had some rain and high winds. Power outages but it didn't seem too dire.

What systems do you find most helpful in disruptive situations? For us it's heating with wood (which we do anyway) and also being able to cook with wood. We don't have solar electric yet but have made arrangements to keep our freezers going and our solar hot water pumps running (the latter in the event that the sun starts shining which CMP is still out). For lights it's candles, LED headlamps/flashlights. We have an Aladdin oil lamp but haven't really needed it for a while.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 457
For us it is having at least 150 gallons of water (20 gallons in glass carboys or food grade plastic 5 gallon containers... the rest in 50 gallon barrels).
Having the composting toilet available for use.
and .... plenty of kindling and dry wood for heat and cooking needs.
We have a generator, but I have refused to use it through both Irene and Sandy.
I guess the key is to have system in place that avoid the use of grid based power.
It helps to have a manual - grinder for our coffee beans too!
-Dave
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,229
It helps to have a manual - grinder for our coffee beans too!

Yes! And friends with sailboats to bring beans up from Costa Rica when the time comes!
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 458
...luxury will be coffee and chocolate rations.
David L.
user 41803752
Portland, ME
Post #: 8
No damage at Bull Brook. The reinforced tiedowns I designed for my "garage in a box" fabric covered pipe frame structures worked fine.

No loss of power, but I did find that new gen-set puts out more Amps then the old one; thus requiring a different cord. So, for back up power, I had to rely on the old backup gen-set. LOL. But a good lesson

David
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 392
Lost an 8" diameter maple, power for 5 hours and 1/2 a pizza confused (flew off my seat when I braked hard for a large pine limb across the road just around a corner). We were so lucky the storm didn't come directly here. Everyone should check and see if their homes are insured for damage from a named storm...apparently most are not. We may be getting more Sandy like storms due to weather shifts from less and less artic ice...hurricane season and arctic ice out season coincide too well.
Check out this link:
http://news.discovery...­
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 393
Confession...I didn't really lose 1/2 that pizza...during a superstorm with no power the 5 second rule turns into the 15 second rule!
Wendy
user 9298467
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Post #: 71
There was no damage to speak of here at our house in OOB. We lost power for about 10 seconds.

We heat with wood and can use the woodstove for cooking. We have two 55 gallon rain barrels (and a third we could set-up if necessary that we use for storing sap between boils during sugaring season), and several gallons of stored water inside the house (mostly in canning jars and our home-brew bottles that aren't being used for other things at the moment : ). For lighting we have candles and several oil lamps.

We also have a bike generator with which we can power some small appliances, and we can power our on-demand propane water heater with a car battery jumpstarter.

We already line-dry/air dry all of our laundry, and I have a wash tub with a wringer with which I can do laundry in a pinch. We heat water on the woodstove for bathing.

Actually, based on the last time we were without power for an extended time, with just a few modifications and some moving around of things, we have minimal disruption in our daily lives when the power goes out.
Wendy
user 9298467
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Post #: 72
I should confess, however, that not having electricity makes it difficult to vacuum the carpets ;). All the more reason to replace them - sooner rather than later ; ).
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 446
No damage here in Brunswick other than some paint blowing off the siding (yeah, it needs painting).

Of course, we dodged a huge bullet here, unlike NY and NJ. What this really highlights is how utterly vulnerable most people are. No redundancies in life-supporting systems and little knowledge of how to survive without the usual amenities. I will give them this: aside from the looters, most people seemed to pull together and help one another, which happens in most places when calamity hits. However, time and discomfort does have a way of stressing people out.

Every once in a while I feel like the things I have done to make my household a little more self-sufficient and resilient have been for not - kind of silly. Not anymore. Preparing for hard times makes ultimate sense in a world that doesn't.