The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Cardboard Toxicity

Cardboard Toxicity

jon h.
user 18342491
Portland, ME
Post #: 15
I had someone ask me about the toxicity of cardboard the other day when I told them I was sheet mulching with it. Has anyone done any research on the topic? Thanks!

jon
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 399
I've read that plain brown cardboard is nothing but unbleached paper with starch for the adhesive tie. That's why cardboard falls apart into its separate three sheets of paper when it remains wet...the starch holding it together dissolves. After a year or so there doesn't seem to be anything left under the sheet mulch as the fungi have finished off the paper. All I can see is really nice easy to work soil.
A former member
Post #: 673
This has been discussed here and the conclusion seemed to be that it was OK. I did some research at that time==I don't remember if I posted it, but the info that I found said it was non-toxic.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 905
Cardboard is a good medium for fungal growth. Fungal enzymes often deconstruct complex molecules like hydrocarbons and other.

David Spahr