addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 674
Has anyone tried this? I wonder if it would last our winters. I enjoyed reading the reviews at Dave's Garden, especially this one.

One of the most disgusting things I have ever put into my mouth, the gelotinous slime I liken to snail snot...although I have yet to try snail snot personally...I suspect it might even taste better than what you think is suppose to taste some what like spinich with this icky thing, at least with snail snot you know it's not going to taste like spinich!! I ripped it out the next morning, wasn't going to devote ANY space to it. If you like the snoty slime of Okra, you MIGHT like this...but it taste nothing like spinich. Maybe more like pond scum, even that might taste better...I can't even discribe it, that's how bad it was...nasty, nasty, NASTY

Though some others did like it... I've grown okra and used it in gumbos.

http://davesgarden.co...­
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 408
hahahahha smile
Thanks for the post Mary...those comments were fun! I've only grown Malabar spinach once, about 15 years ago and it was a poster child for me of the troubles of using an unknown plant. The seed company had no information other than that it was a "spinach substitute". It was so different from spinach that I ended up treating mine like an unfamiliar wild edible...trying a little in different stages of growth and waiting to see if I was ok! (I feel slightly silly about that now)
It grew well for me and set seed, some of which must have dropped to the ground, but nothing ever came back from that one year trialing it. Maybe I'll try it again, this time after reading more about how to use it online. In full sun it seemed to quickly cover the 8' trellis it was on.
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 293
I grew it several years ago for its vertical growth and its preference to the heat of the summer. I do not think it would overwinter. I remember a certain thickness of the leaves; mildly aloe like. I do not intend to grow it again - not sure whether my micro-climate was not hot enough or the PH was too low.