addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Unpasterized apple juice?

Unpasterized apple juice?

Erin
user 10297075
Portland, ME
Post #: 3
Does anyone know where I can obtain (buy/trade/pay with hour exchange) unpastuerized apple juice or cider? I have a cider vinegar culture and I would like to, well, culture it. Thanks!
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 63
It could be difficult to find unpasturized cider(unless you press or juicer-ize your own from fresh apples) now that the apple season is past. I've always made my apple cider vinegar(APV) from cider that's been fermented to make hard cider, as the vinegar bug, acetobacter, actually works by processing the alcohol into acetic acid to make vinegar. You can also do this with any wine as well. I keep a jar with a live vinegar mom that I dump any leftover cider or wine into. It usually takes a few months for the 'swill' to convert fully to vinegar, then I start a new jar. Plenty of commercial hard ciders out there, but look for ones that don't contain sulfites, as that could inhibit the acetic fermentation you're trying for.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 908
If it's unpasteurized it's cider. Apple juice is by definition pasteurized but I think some marketers are trying to muddy up the definition. I have certainly consumed mega gallons of unpasteurized cider. Cider eventually turns. Not the worst thing though. Make hard cider or vinegar. No waste.

David Spahr