addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 198
Well it looks like the next week or so will be major improvement in the weather situation. I hope everybody made it through the storm alright. My oldest daughter and I had a full afternoon of sowing seeds and chewing on arugula from coldframe #1. More daylight/sun, the happy days are back!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 114
This weather *is* incredible after the storm earlier this week...Since we are on ledge we had quite a bit of water flowing through the basement. A few leaks and some roof lifting and power out for three days. But with the wood stove going for heat and cooking and the trusty aladdin lamp for some reading light, all was well. A good trial run:) A few old cedars came down but all the hardwoods held up fine and the gardens are starting to pop, even after just one nice day!

I thought the baby might decide to show up right in the middle of the storm, but alas...still waiting. All is well and the garlic is poking through the mulch.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 200
Maybe an Earth Day Baby is in your forecast!
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 2
My Earth Day baby will be 30 this year. Great day to be born!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 116
Cool! Crossing my fingers! The little bugger seems content where he/she is, howeversmile
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 119
Walking around in the backyard this morning, it's evident that things grew exponentiallially over the weekend!

Garlic shoots added an inch, chives are about 6 inches tall, lillies, solomon seal and other perennials are making a great showing...all the grapes, kiwis and apples are starting little buds.

For those who were here for some of the 2006 workshops, you'll be glad to know that the swaled strawberry hillside is already showing lots of green strawberry foliage (and it caught almost all the water from last week's deluge with absolutely no erosion!!!). The nettles and foxglove have reseeded nicely. We also tore apart the horrendous hearth in our house a few weeks ago and used the clean stones to build up the herb spiral walls a bit more this weekend...will top dress with compost and more mulch before planting up. The cubic yard of "demonstration compost" from last year's workshop is now about 2 cubic feet of perfectly aged pure gold (that's the pile Dave clocked at 170 degrees F:).

It has been a long winter and I finally feel like living outside again! Enjoy the weather everyone!
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 204
I hear that, I was putting off some sheetmulching, but now I may have to mow. I don't mind because I need the clippings. The Earth Day Project at my place was sheetmulching near a walk way and putting a rock garden in an area that was a paine to mow and trim around. My daughter, the new sheetmulching queen, spread & wet the newspaper and straw like a veteraned permie. I'll get some photos to my flickr site soon. It is too nice to be tied to gizmos on a day like this!
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 8
Yeah, it's great outside....finally, Yay!

Crocuses look great, and I definately need to bring in more dwarf Iris....lovely splashes of color this time of year. Today, the irst Daff. bloomed- a dwarf rock garden variety. Some o the tulips will bloom pretty soon, I think...they grow so fast.

Yesterday was rose-planting day; more because they arrived than any plan.

I see honeybees on my willow catkins...it's so great to see them, though I have no idea where the hive is. I wish the winter storms didn't preclude my beekeeping class.....try again next year- unless someone in this group would be able to help me out, LOL.

Peepers and other frogs are sooo loud. They are in this small puddle in the woods.....you would never think of it as a big frog habitat, but it is, so it definately goes on the design plan as frog refuge.

We walked an area of the property we don't visit much- the other end of the homestead....it's 11 acres, but it's very oval-shaped. I got ideas for smaller, dry areas I can work with, and the very wet land is pretty clearly defined. We were on a firewood survey...about a cord can be brought out from wood on the ground....easier said than done, ofc. The land was logged just before I came here, and there are scattered trees left by the loggers.

You know.....11 acres is actually a lot of land if you are thinking of working with it as far as planting trees and other plants.

My biggest pleasure is the chicks I got friday.....several varieties; almost all new types or me. It's so fun to watch them at this age.

Anyone want to buy some Mallard Ducklings?? I'll give you a good deal :) From a pair of domesticated birds I now have 8 adults and 15 chicks....so far...they are sitting on two more clutches. EEK!