The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Wish list for 2013?

Wish list for 2013?

Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 417
What plants/plans are on everyone's wish list for 2013?

I'm hoping this year to install a 500 bush Poncirus hedge surrounding an acre planting site. Poncirus are very thorny citrus that will hopefully help protect that acre from deer. Also hoping that some of my first citrus hybrid seedlings grow well and survive their first winter (though I won't be surprised if none do from this batch).

I'm hoping that my sea beet seeds do well and produce some hardy perennials that can be crossed with swiss chard in future years.

Also hoping my yellow horn seeds germinate.

Happy end to 2012/beginning to 2013 everyone!
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 64
I'm going to be planting out hard cider apple tree varieties from my nursery to the orchard, and get working on bench grafting perry pears.
On the home energy front, we're planning to build a masonry heater with a bake oven.
Lee
LeeWorkman
Gorham, ME
Post #: 18
The hedge seems especially interesting given the deer in the area. Good luck with it.

I'm ordering Duborskian rice from Fedco to try this spring. The seed was grown in central Maine so I'm hopeful I can get the seeds to produce. It's adaptable enough to grow on dry land, but I'll be trying it in clay soil which is quite wet in the spring.

http://www.mofga.org/...­
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 575
where to start! I would like to get most of the trees and shrubs I have purchased over the past couple years all planted. Also, expand my veg garden with a straw bale raised bed, rebuild the herb spiral, as discussed in a previous thread, and redo my front garden beds in a more permaculture oriented theme (using concrete patio pavers for the patio and paths, though. So, loads on the agenda and I will be lucky to get 1/3 to 1/2 of these items done....but this IS a wishlist!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,262
This year we're likely adding the final fruit trees to our small lot and I really want to select some peaches that have a good chance of doing well in this climate.

Mostly, I'm really curious to see how the perennial vegetables I've been planting for the past 2-3 years start to produce....perennial spinach (hablitzia), sea kale, fuki, edible bamboo (yellow groove), air potato, chinese artichoke, etc.

OK, I am also really interested in flying dragon for absolutely no good reason other than I can (Much to the dismay of some on this list, I'm sure). The perennial food will start to give the annual food a run for its money either this year or next, by weight, I think...Ultimate goal is 80% perennial food by weight each year and 20% from annual crops. Haven't done the calcs by calorie or nutrients yet.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 439
Flying Dragon is a gorgeous plant Lisa! My Poncirus hedge will be a double hedge with standard plants I'm growing with fruits from several locations (one nicknamed swamp lemon that is slightly better tasting), and P.t.'Flying Dragon' from fruits I got from another location. Of the hundreds of Flying Dragon seedlings a decent number of plants are clearly not clones (Poncirus, like many citrus, have seeds that are mostly clones of the mother plant...biology follows it's own rules) and a small percent seem to be super dwarfing with internodes that are very, very short. I'm curious if they'll survive or not.
The fruits of Poncirus taste of bitter lemon with kerosene overtones...an acquired taste to be sure. Sometimes I'm sure I can taste it in some Chinese dishes where it somehow works. Maybe this is a good citrus to use for a homemade cleaner!
Supposedly a full grown Poncirus hedge is so strong that you couldn't drive a truck through it! The thorns are super sharp so it's the ultimate security hedge. I double dog dare a deer to try to get through it! If I have any left over Flying Dragons I can send one your way Lisa. Poncirus is parthenocarpic so if there's no pollinator it'll set seedless fruit. If nothing else it's a serious talking point in the garden....everyone is fascinated by it when it's covered in ping pong sized citrus fruits.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 440
Lisa, forgot to mention...OGW's height for FD is incorrect. They say it only grows 2-3 feet tall. Flying Dragon is very slow growing and may stay in that height range for a while, but very old FDs are 10' tall! Still short by Citrus and Poncirus standards, but thought I'd mention it.

I'm hoping my super short internode plants will stay under 1' tall...time will answer. Might make an interesting bed edge plant??? Nothing like growing out 100s or 1000s of plants to find amazing variations.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 441
So many great plans! Lee, the Duborskian rice sounds really interesting. I hope we all get our wishes to materialize this year. Ultimately as our gardens mature they'll be amazing resources and I'm sure we'll all be able to swap incredible things with each other!
A former member
Post #: 675
Last year we planted a Fedco Lars Anderson peach and I could hardly believe my eyes when it was covered with large rosy-skinned peaches! Sadly, something ate them all and we didn't get to sample them. I think it was a fox so that's going to be a problem. I am so thrilled with this peach that I bought three more to plant this year.

I also bought quite a few plums and prunes from Fedco to plant this year. I plan to try Fedco's suggestion to plant the plums in a very small thicket just a few feet apart (as explained in their catalogue). They say that plums can be hard to pollenate and this will increase fruiting. Has anyone ever tried it?

I had hoped to have three nice little elderberries growing this year. We bought them locally and they were supposedly the European black (negro) variety that is proven to fight colds and flu. They were planted in an ideal spot but just died off, one by one. I don't know why. I know where a wild bush is and I'm thinking that it should work to go now and pick stems to start, though one site I found suggested soft wood cuttings. I'm also thinking that I should start cuttings from my grapes. Suggestions?
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 581
Mary...wrt elderberries, th easiest way to propagate elders is layering or from runners. My elders send underground runners quite nicely, and Tree and I actually were abe to take about 10 divisions from an elder I planted 4 or 5 years ago. The main plant was set back a year, but I expect to get a good crop of berries from it again this year, and a nice crop from the runnes in another year or 2.