The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Yeltsin course schedule

Yeltsin course schedule

Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 4
Hi,

I've gone to the Humustacia website and all the information is a year old. I've emailed them, tried calling them, emailed Lisa....noone responds at all. [note: I did respond, sorry if it got lost in the mail/junk mail shuffle - Lisa]

Can I get some current information on the design certificate course schedule. Will there be only one offered in New England this season?
I can't go to the May 5 gathering and the weekend courses wouldn't make sense if I could do the 2 week course....otherwise I'd try to talk to them in person.

I'm very busy with my farm and animals, so I need to schedule things in advance. I was planning to take the course in Durham, NH....then my friend pointed out that was last year's course.

To be honest, I'm very frustrated- mostly by the lack of response to my inquiries. This was something I really, really wanted to do, but time passes and I will have to look into other things during the season, very, very soon. It's almost May.

Anyway....does ANYONE have ANY idea what's going on with the permaculture class schedule? Please? Does anyone know how to contact anyone who will answer my questions?

Running out of time,
Tree
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 5
OOPS, YELTON
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 201
Our Clalendar has this info:
Friday, May 25, 2007, 9:00 AM
Description:
The full 2-week PDC course taught by Charles & Julia Yelton on site
at the Newforest Institute in Brooks, Maine. More details to follow.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 202
Also here:
http://newforestinsti...­

Maine Permaculture Design Certificate Course
May 25-June 9, 2007
at
Newforest Institute
Brooks, Maine

- Sustainable Design
- Energy Efficiency
- Water In The Landscape
- Healthy Living Environments
- Edible Forest Gardens
- Life Skills for the Future
- City, Suburban and Rural Application

Instructors: Julia & Charles Yelton, international permaculture designers, practitioners, and teachers of Humustacia Permaculture Gardens in Whitefield, Maine, are international Permaculture designers and teachers, and have travelled lectured throughout the world. The Yeltons, formerly of Crystal Waters Permaculture Village in Queensland, Australia, have been designing and teaching Permaculture for the last 14 years, and are certified Permaculture Design Certificate Course instructors.

Permaculture (n.) a design system for creating sustainable human environments. It offers positive solutions to the problems facing the world by using ecology as the basis of designing integrated systems for food production, housing, technology and community development.

Course Content: Permaculture Zones / Soils / Seed-Saving / Four Season Gardening / No-Dig Weed-Free Gardening / Sheet Mulching / Water In The Landscape / Forest Gardening / Plant Stacking / Composting Methods / Pollinators / Cold Frames / Animals in the Landscape / Stacking Functions / Intercropping / Natural Pest Control / Site Analysis / Swales & Pans / Sustainable Energy / Practical Alternative Energy / Alternative Building / Communities & Eco-Villages / Permaculture Design Concepts & Methodology / Sustainable Food Systems / Field Trips / Sample Projects / Hands-On Applications + More...

Cost for this twelve-day course is US $900.00. Meals and camping are extra, as follows:
3 meals daily, plus tent space... US $450
2 meals daily (lunch/dinner)..... US $300
1 meal daily (lunch only) ........ US $150

The course is a combination of instruction and hands-on practical exercises. As there will be a number of hands-on sessions, work clothes and gloves will be needed. For more information contact;

Newforest Institute
P.O. Box 25
66 Monroe Highway
Brooks, ME 04921
207-722-3639
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 6
Yeah, i saw that one on the calander, thanks.

Is that the only one being offered this summer?
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 203
I'm not sure.
I know that there options for certificate programs outside of Maine, but still in the Northeast. Is that an option for you?
If so:
Fifth Annual Three Week Permaculture Design Course
with Dave Jacke, Jono Neiger, and friends
July 20 - August 10, 2007
Sirius Community, Shutesbury, Massachusetts
Sponsored by Living Routes Ecovillage Education, Amherst, MA
http://www.livingrout...­

This intensive course has built solid a reputation for its holistic, interactive style, for its strong design-training focus, and for the depth and breadth of participant's learning about all realms of ecological culture design. Imbibe permaculture design by engaging in permaculture DESIGN, using homes in the neighborhood--and Sirius Community itself--as your learning lab for two short design problems and one two-week-long design project. The course also includes field trips to local permaculture sites and old growth forest remnants, paradigm-shifting activities, interactive exercises, and hands-on projects and training. Primary instructor Dave Jacke is the author of Edible Forest Gardens, an award-winning two-volume book on ecological garden design, and has studied, practiced, and taught ecological design since the 1970s. Jono Neiger is a longstanding permaculture designer and practitioner, a conservation biologist, and an all around great guy who homesteads in Leverett, MA with his family. Dave and Jono and their two teaching apprentices create an incredibly well-rounded educational environment with multifunctional and functionally interconnected learning experiences for students of all kinds. If you successfully complete this course, you will know how to design permaculture systems, from basic map-making skills to public presentations of drawings that communicate complex site analysis and design ideas. This is a University of Massachusetts course offering 4 transferable undergraduate credits (Plant and Soil 398P).

For more info and an application, contact Living Routes at 413-259-0025 or 888-515-7333 or visit their website
http://www.livingrout...­ .

If you have questions about the course itself (not about applications, etc.) you may also contact
Dave Jacke at 413-475-3499 or davej (atsign) edibleforestgardens (dot) com.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 115
FYI - as some of you know Charles and Julia Yelton have been in Cyprus for several months, due back in less than 2 weeks. There was alot of work involved in getting the logistics of the trip worked out before they went over, contributing most likely to their not being able to update their own web site (plus they continue to struggle with dial-up at their Whitefield location).

Also, it has been very challenging getting a good internet connection in Cyprus...even some of their emails to me never made it on the "first attempt." They are in a real old-school situation right now and 21st century instant information/communication is not realistic at the moment...so...patience I guess.

Anyway, their courses are quite good and worthwhile. The northeast permaculture wiki also has good info on other regional courses, though I can say that there is no "one complete source" for permaculture course schedules that I've found.

http://northeasternpe...­
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 36
I know that Charles and Julia will also be offering a 2 week course in Vermont June 22 til July 7 followed by a one week advanced course July 8 - 14 because Francis and I agreed to go to this Thomas Berry center for the in between weekend to lead Creation sacred dances based on the story of creation in Genesis. Check out -- http://www.greenmount...­

Even though I'll be taking both the 2 day course in May and the June 25 to July 9 course in Brooks (That's 16 days, not 12, or yes because of travel, surely 14 work days) we also are waiting eagerly for a reply from them. We emailed them in Cyprus asking if they'd do the permaculture design for our lot but no answer yet.

Lisa, we're rooting for you and David and the baby to come!
Elaine