addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 7
Dave, that is a novel idea to use the pine logs or mushroom culture. I'm looking into it.

I thought I'd start a new thread on mushrooms and ask you and/or others:

What is the best book to get on mushroom cultivation?

What do you think is the best way to start out growing mushrooms as a beginner? (I once grew mushrooms from a kit, but the yield was far too low to justify the cost....perhaps a kit I can innoculate another area with after flush would work better?)

What do folks think of the outside growing kits?

What species would you grow, as a novice, if you could only grow one?

What are the most common causes of outside mushroom cultivation failure in Maine?

I have more questions, but lets see if I've already pushed my luck. :)
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 9
OOps...I should probably refer to you as David, sorry. I get too excited about this stuff, but then stress out abt writing.....
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 24
I don't know what you wish to grow but I certainly recommend books by Paul Stamets above all. The 2 books below are the most up to date, comprehensive, and amazing. You could order books from Amazon through my site at mushroom-collecting.com and I would make a few cents and you would get a good price as well.

As I said before, Mycelium Running should be on every permaculturist's shelf. I guarantee you would be surprised by the content of that book. Very surprised.

Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets (Paperback - Dec 2000)

Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World by Paul Stamets (Paperback - Oct 15, 2005)

David