addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Ben R.
user 14875591
Portland, ME
Post #: 3
This season I am planning on developing some rice paddies. Our soil high in clay so it is great for growing rice. I have read of all the wonderful things that the Akaogi family has done with rice in Vermont, but have not heard of people integrating rice and ducks integration around these parts. I am currently reading a book called "The Power of Duck" which is extremely helpful, though it mentions a variety of duck, Aigamo, which works really well, though I think that it is a more tropical duck. He suggested using native ducks and cross breeding them with a larger more domesticated duck, though not a Muscovy, because they do not like water.

Does anyone know anything about rice and duck integration in upper New England or does anyone know of people who are currently growing Rice in Maine?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 911
I think you should do some research on ducks outside of the content of this book. Presently we have a worldwide problem with the extinction of duck species through hybridization and introgression. Mallards are a bit of a problem bird. Interbreeding duck species poses the danger of further genetic pollution.

David Spahr
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,265
Hi Ben,

Take a look at what Ben Falk at Whole Systems Research Farm in Vermont is doing with ducks integrated into his "pools, ponds and paddies" system, essentially "fertigating" the rice paddies with nutrient-rich duck poopy water fed by gravity downhill in a controlled way. Simple but very effective. He submitted a great piece to Permaculture Activist last year (I may still have a copy) on this very topic and he presented here in Portland last February. His book comes out in May.
Ben R.
user 14875591
Portland, ME
Post #: 4
I have been in contact with Good Companion Bakery in Vermont, which has done some rice and duck integration. They say just using the hatchery Khaki ducks have worked fine without crossing them. This year they might be trying a Rouen or Welsh Harlequin to try to get a better marketing duck. I would love a copy of Ben Falk's submission if it is floating around.
A former member
Post #: 87