addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Want your own house in Portland? Sick of apartment living? Craving a yard?

Want your own house in Portland? Sick of apartment living? Craving a yard?

Bill
user 13592753
Portland, ME
Post #: 14
I'm finishing up a remodel on a new rental property I just bought last month, located in Portland near the intersection of Stevens/Brighton. It's never been on the market before; it had been owned by an elderly woman for many years.
I'd like to avoid the masses of craigslist and hopefully find a conscientious and like-minded tenant to occupy it. It faces South on a 1/4+ acre with plenty of room for a large garden and potential solar opportunities. It's the last house on a dead-end street, with a small copse of trees next to it and a streambed; right in the middle of Portland! The bus stops at the end of the street and one can walk to a supermarket, pharmacy, hospital, multiple schools (including UNE & USM), the library, Jewel Falls, Capisic Pond and Rosemont market - all within a mile.

It's 3BR, 1.5Ba with a full basement (great for vermiculture or kombucha) with full-size washer and dryer, very large kitchen, dining room, living room and a 2-car attached garage (includes two bicycles that I rescued when her things were removed). I've used zero-VOC paint throughout, filled the new Roth tank w/biodiesel, installed a more efficient brand-new steam boiler, and have replaced all bulbs with CFs. The floors are scheduled to all be re-sanded and sealed with water-based, low-VOC coating. I'm asking $1550/month based on comparable single-family homes in the neighborhood though this may be negotiable for the right tenant who would be willing to work on improving the yard/plantings/solar, etc.

As you can see, I've done a lot for the place and really want someone who will care about it as much as I do. I live two blocks away and will be a very present landlord - available to help out as needed and I'm super-interested in working with a talented tenant on plantings/yard improvement.

If you're intrigued (or know someone who would be), please get in touch. I am putting the finishing touches on it now and am targeting Feb. 14 as a move-in date, though this is flexible.

Thanks,
Bill
Courtney
Wickedlostcause
Brooks, ME
Post #: 4
Hey Bill!

Your place sounds amazing! Unfortunately, my roommate recently found a long-term house sitting position and I'm on the hunt for a place to live. Everything happens for a reason? I would love to talk to you more about the place and what I could offer in terms of agricultural and permaculture experience. My email is Cwilliams112@gmail.com.

Talk to you soon!
Courtney