The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Fruiting quince- Cydonia oblonga

Fruiting quince- Cydonia oblonga

Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 70
Here's a fruit that's fallen by the wayside in today's world. Could there be a revival underway? We'll be planting out a couple this year- 'Smyra' and 'Lemony quince'(which is actually a flowering quince with edible, though smaller, fruit) from Fedco and Oikos nurseries.
Anyone growing these, and if so please tell of growing and eating experiences!
I remember someone brought a quince to John Bunker's earth-shaking talk last fall...
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,275
I've been finding mature "hedges" of flowering quince from Old Orchard Beach to South Portland. Some hedges seem quite impenetrable but dripping with fruit. I really like the fruiting quinces but don't know loads of people growing with them. It's a great crop.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 457
My three trees are growing well, but no fruit yet. My flowering quince are small, but throwing a few fruits. The toyo nishiki fruits are the size of large supermarket apples. Nice lemony flavor.
Ann M.
user 11339334
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Hi Jesse, Quite some years ago we planted what I believe was a pear. It did nothing but sit out in the backyard, and in the way of life, our time and attention moved on to raising babies, renovating our abode to make it liveable, and attending to careers. Decades passed, the tree survived despite total neglect, and only in the past few years, with children grown and flown, careers retired from, etc. have we reengaged with gardening and trying to explore permaculture techniques for a new way of living. When we noticed the tree blossoming and fruiting, we were very surprised, but thought the "pear" produced was horrid. It never ripened nor sweetened, and tasted like alum. As I mentioned, only in the past two years did I realize it was quince. So...was it always a quince and we didn't know what we planted? Or was John Bunker correct in his surmise? It must remain one of life's mysteries I suppose. I have been very pleased with the results of my experiments and look forward to trying more things. This is my first time posting on the discussion board (my computer skills are on a par with most kindergartners), but in trying to send this message to you I saw your profile mentioning you graft trees. Would you ever wish to take some scion wood from this tree, you'd be more than welcome. Ann
Gorham, ME
Post #: 589
Ann you are doing well if your computer skills are on par with kindergartners. They tend to be pretty savvy young in life.

Welcome to the boards and enjoy! More participants are always welcome as they bring more information, ideas and suggestions for others to consider.