add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Attached Greenhouses

Attached Greenhouses

A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Lisa and everyone!

Last night's Meetup got me thinking. Might anyone know of a carpenter or someone who has knowledge of passive solar attached greenhouse 'retrofits' who would be interested in helping us with ours? My goal is to get ours winterized by fall so I can start trying to grow greens etc. over the winter. We are looking for someone who doesn't mind a small job ( I HOPE it's small) who would be willing to have me assist so I can learn.( and cut our costs) As this will be part of my design for my class, staging might be a little tricky because we are not supposed to actually do anything until the design is approved. ( this winter) But as I mentioned, the floor is rotting and the exterior trim is also so we need to at least start bringing it into repair. We could prepare the structure for whatever we later choose for the thermal mass at a later date. Any ideas or contacts you all may have would be much appreciated!

A former member
Post #: 10

Hi more thing. I don't know whether or not you have a Meetup site for August but it just occurred to me that everyone would be welcome to come here. We could use my greenhouse as a focus depending on what's happening with it at that point.

As I mentioned, my garden area is very challenging...very sandy soil ( a la Desert of Maine) and a septic field hogging the sunny spot, lots of crab grass and only the beginning stages of a permaculture design. Never-the-less, it might be instructional if people wanted to come here. Let me know or we can talk about it at Elaine's.

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 130
Hi Winnie - That sounds really interesting AND it gets us talking about the green building aspect of permaculture (since the gardens are only one component...). Let's talk about it at the July meetup or work party and go from there!

A former member
Post #: 44
I am very interested in a greenhouse also. I have spent a lot of time looking at plans for hoop houses on the web, but wonder if they would hold up in our Maine winters? I had a "half hoop" attached to the south side of our home for awhile. It was all PVC pipe and it held up well.

A friend has a small greenhouse and she said heat loving plants grow so much better and tend to be disease free.

I have a friend who is a carpenter. Like me he is a pack rat and hates to see so much good stuff get thrown in the dump. He has a "junk yard" of used stuff on the left side of the road as you are coming into BB. He would be a good source for used lumber, windows, etc.

I'm sure most people here are familiar with the Four Seasons Farm? If not you can check out their website.