The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Will Sheet Mulching Suppress....

Will Sheet Mulching Suppress....

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 149
Bittersweet, Multi Flora Rose and Japanese Knotweed? A new member of the group is wondering if a good fat sheet mulch can get these species under control. I could guess, but I'm not really sure since I know these are so pervasive and can spread (i.e. knotweed) by the tiniest piece of rootstock...

Any input/advice?
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 225
I don't know... I have tried to suppress Virginia Creeper by sheetmulching, but the Creeper has won in those spots.
A former member
Post #: 12
I bet not...but don't REALLY know. I DO know that sheet mulching doesn't work for crabgrass. Lest you think I'm crazy, I actually planted Japanese knotweed in an isolated spot...honeybees LOVE it and I've taken to planting things for the bees even though I've been told not to bother because bees forage at much greater distances than one's own yard.

Winnie
A former member
Post #: 53
Just a thought... I wonder if you could get rid of crabgrass by sheet mulching, laying potatoes down, and covering with a foot of straw? I've planted them off and on over the years, just a few for fun, and have always laid them on the ground covered with heavy mulch. They do just fine and one can peek in and take a few when needed.

How are your bees doing Winnie?
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 59
During our permaculture course in Brooks Maine Julia had us use cardboard for particular stubborn areas, e.g. Andrea our host had a garden bed FULL of Bishop's Weed (not the milder variegated type but the plain green leaves), and she recommended that treatment instead of newspaper.

The future will let us know if our own "Ultimate Bomb Proof Sheetmulching Method" (which I uploaded on this site from Gaia's Garden) -- with cardboard works. In the past every spring we've had to dig down to intercept the roots of the maple tree that now looks so lovely reflected in the pond! I'll be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't try to poke into our garden proper this or some future year since it's the first year we have not tilled or dug for the roots.

Elaine
PS Might take longer than a few years since the pond's 2' + hole was designed to prevent little maple trees in the garden
A former member
Post #: 54
I used to use cardboard covered with spoiled hay at the edges of my garden and in all the paths and nothing came up through it. Of course the grass does try to creep in on top of the mulch around the edges, especially in a wet year. I used to tell my friends that I had the only garden I had ever seen that could actually burn down.biggrin