addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Hoop House "recipe"

Hoop House "recipe"

A former member
Post #: 47
While we're on the subject of toxins, I learned in my online p course, that contrary to what Mollison advocates, one should avoid using tires for planting in or even for children's play equipment. Apparently, nowadays, cadmium is added to the rubber which can then be released into the environment as it oxidizes, gets abraided or is burned. I was cautioned against making tire swings for children to play on and to stop using them to plant my tomatoes in ( to speed ripening). Permaculture 1 and the Designer's Manual list many applications for using old tires. So use caution here. I'm getting rid of all of mine.

Winnie
A former member
Post #: 85
Thanks Lisa and Dave--then cement blocks it will be! Now about those tires for tomatoes, actually I was just wondering about that too as my sis used to use them. Seems to me I read somewhere, maybe here, something about the soil along roadsides being bad because of tire "dust"? They would have worked really well here as part of my garden will be on a hill side. But I want to get my garden off to a good start, so it sounds like it would not be a good idea. If anyone else hears anything about this please post it.

I am thinking that lemon balm and mint would be a good idea for the blocks as in my experience they both tend to grow beyond where I want then in a short time.