align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Home-brew potting soil mix

Home-brew potting soil mix

Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 75
Anyone trying to go peat-free out there?
Okay, I'll admit I've bought Pro-Mix by the bale, but this year I'm trying out some of my own potting soil mixes. Living in the woods here, there's plenty of rotted wood laying around, and I'm sifting it to 1/4" and smaller pieces. It'd be interesting to know pHs and nutrient profiles for various rooted woods, but I aimed for deciduous wood, mostly birch and maple. This gets blended equal parts with some excellent finished compost I got brought back from Nezinscot Farm after pruning there: cow manure/bedding mixed with loam and aged 2yrs, black and crawling with redworms. I was told by the farmer that she plants right into the stuff out in her garden plot.
The resulting blend seems lightweight and has good water retention. I've read of leaf-mold as a great ingredient for potting mixes, but my leaf pile isn't quite there yet, so I substituted the wood. I might add a 1/4 measure of sand, but the compost I used did seem to have a bit of grit to it from the loam. I'd like to get some biochar in there as well, but I used up my stash last year.
We'll see how the plants like it, I'm even going to try some side-by-side trials with my regular peat mix.
Cat S.
user 29296252
Freeport, ME
Post #: 7
Hi Jesse, you are a busy and industrious fellow! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Please say hi to Echo and Sy. I hope that our paths will cross again soon. Cat