The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › The Future of Farming?

The Future of Farming?

A former member
Post #: 104
Dave C.
dcandage
Limerick, ME
Post #: 1
I have studied hydroponics a bit and the only problem I have with it (if you can call it a problem) is that in dirt farming, there is a whole ecosystem in the soil that includes bacteria, fungi, minerals, etc. In hydroponics, there's only the three basic plant nutrients of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium (and a few other micronutrients). So, I'm not sure how the quality of the food differs from a permaculture food forest type environment.
Tyler O.
TylerOmand
Greenbush, ME
Post #: 5
You can add most of the biology that is in healthy soil to hydroponics by the addition of aerated compost tea . I have also built bioponic setups where there is still soil on top of the container but with an aerated water resovoir beneath which aerated compost tea is added along with other plant teas. I still believe that dirt farming has a deeper connection with the cosmos, but I believe hydro has a place in the urban landscape and in greenhouses. I am also a big fan of aquaponics and I am in the process of building an 800 gallon tank in my attached greenhouse that will contain tilapia. The tank will act as solar heat mass storage and be heated with a water exchanger attached to the exhaust of the greenhouse wood stove and also a solar collector . The water from the tank will be captured rain water and will be pumped via a 12v pump run on a photovoltaic system into sequential flood trays that will have different plants in them according to their filtration capacities and nutrient requirements then drop back into the tank aerating the water. I plan on raising duckweed, algae, grains and soldier fly larvae to feed the fish. The fish will be eaten by my family (my wife Heather, dog Zillionaire and our two cats) fresh and frozen, I also plan on grinding some of them up to use as fertilizer and as an input in my aerated compost tea brewers as a great food source for beneficial fungi as well as use the fish tank water in my compost teas
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 938
I have studied hydroponics a bit and the only problem I have with it (if you can call it a problem) is that in dirt farming, there is a whole ecosystem in the soil that includes bacteria, fungi, minerals, etc. In hydroponics, there's only the three basic plant nutrients of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium (and a few other micronutrients). So, I'm not sure how the quality of the food differs from a permaculture food forest type environment.

Here here! Then there's the difference between farmed and wild.....
A former member
Post #: 114
Different situations will require different behaviors and systems. The more redundance the more resilience.