addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › where to get straw bales in Portland area?

where to get straw bales in Portland area?

Elizabeth W.
user 9173233
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Hi all,
I'm wondering if someone can recommend a good place to get a few bales of straw around Portland?
Also, has anyone tried straw bale gardening? I'm considering it to expand my garden onto the driveway, which is cement.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Gorham, ME
Post #: 595
I got mine from Longhorn feed in Buxton. They are $8 each....a bit pricey, but it seems to be the going rate. I am using mine to do 3 sisters gardens....the central area for the corn and beans and the squash/pumpkins, etc on the straw bales.....

My original plan had been to setup 2 rows of bales, but the circle may actually make a better use of them, since I have the entire center for corn. I guess we'll just have to see how things go :)
David H.
Oxford, ME
Post #: 499
Jordan Farm in Cape.