align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Making the Best out of this year's bumper apple crop..CRABAPPLE JELLY

Making the Best out of this year's bumper apple crop..CRABAPPLE JELLY

A former member
Post #: 85
My mom was quite a cook...I learned enough about baking from her to open my whole grain bakery when we moved to Maine in the late 70's.

She always made crabapple jelly from 'roadside' apples.

It was a lot of work....coreing stemming, and chopping the small apples; boiling and straining the pulp; then mixing in ingredients and slow boiling the liquid until it thickens and gels; then sterilizing the jelly glasses, pouring in the hot jelly, sealing the glasses, and hot water bathing them. PHEW!

After getting back from WINNIES, my wife told me her partner had an abundance of crab apples and did I want some.

Of course; so a large bag of the golden crab apples appeared from Annie's tree.

I used the Martha Steward recipe..."Crabapple jam's so good, it'd be a crime not to make it". The result was the best jam I've had in a very long time...reddish, thick, spicy-allspice, cloves, and semi-tart--half a lemon's juice.

CRABAPPLE RECIPE

• Crabapples..I used the yellow ones, quartered, cored and stemmed.
  • put them in a large pot, barely cover with water, and bring to boil & simmer about 30 min. till soft and pulpy
  • Seperate the pulp..just the peels, keep the inner pulp for flavor, I used a heavy duty strainer and pushed the pulp through with a large spatula; use a food mill for a better job
  • Add in sugar...recipe calls for 1 cp for each cup of pulpy juice; i used 3 cps for half a kettle of juice & pulp; added about 1/4 tsp of cloves and allspice; and a slug of coconut rum I just happened to have handy and started it to boil in a rolling boil.
  • three hours later, it boiled down to a semi-thick gunk, dark red...usually for jam, the liquid will 'sheet' off of a spoon, that means it will gell when it cools
  • I sterilized several Pint jars and filled them to the top. I'd guess about four quarts of pulp boils down to 1 qt. of jellied jam. I regret not filling some very small jam containers for tasting.

Next morning, we had cinn. raisin toast and this magnificant jam!