The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Fig Plants Available

Fig Plants Available

Meagan B.
user 37163502
Portland, ME
Post #: 6
Hello greg!!
Thanks so much for your generosity!
I will take one sal's and one Marseilles Black. Both the small pots. These seam fun to grow. Do you have a decent harvest with that many plants? I always love learning about new plants to grow!!
Thanks again
Meagan
Sandra J.
user 77197852
Gorham, ME
Post #: 3
Greg, Thanks for posting all this detailed information. I'd love to try figs. If you still have room and there are some of these left, I would take the 1.5 gal. pots of Sal's GS and Marseilles Black VS. If the larger sizes are gone or you don't have room for them, I'd get the 5" pots of those types or the Hardy Chicago, Florea or Gino's Black (looking for 2 types if possible). Let us know where and when to pick up.
Sandi Jensen
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 536
So far everyone should be all set with their requests, but I'm sending an update to Kerry (the grower) tonight so that he can confirm that all is still available and so he can set all your plants aside. I'll post an update as soon as I hear from him. I'll pick them all up next Saturday morning and I'll try delivering the plants for the Dover group Saturday afternoon and the plants for you guys on next Sunday late morning...more details to follow in the next few days. You guys can just reimburse me when you get your figs.

Lisa Kelley...did you want a 5" pot or a 1.5 gallon size?

Sue, how is your Atreano doing? Does it's main crop ripen well for you up here? Mine is in it's 3rd summer and is getting pretty big. It set a breba crop (figs on last year's wood for those who haven't heard of the breba...figs can set a crop on last years wood and on new growth which is considered the main crop) this year, but dropped that fruit...hoping it'll set a main crop in time (I see initials so fingers crossed). I take finger thick dormant 8" cuttings and put them in a freezer bag that goes into a shoe box to exclude light (keep an eye on them because some might send out roots in the bag!)...then in late winter/spring I pot them up in clear soda bottles that I cut in half so that the top half (with cap off) can be put on as a cover to keep the humidity up. I like the clear bottles because then I can see when it's roots grow out and can then pot it up. Whatever works is great, though. Figs root really easy. Some people (in warmer areas) just poke a hole in the ground, cut a branch off their fig and stick it in the hole!
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 538
Sue, I just found this tip on the Figs4Fun forum board concerning trying to root new growth:

"Green cuttings have an active vascular system and are not as strong as dormant cuttings. Remove all the leaves and place in a vase with about 1 inch of water, replace the water every 2-3 days, and shake daily (to keep the cuttings wet)."

Once the cuttings have roots they are potted up to further develop. Not sure if you're doing green cuttings or dormant cuttings, but thought you'd be interested.

I'll get times up for this Sunday's fig transfer tonight. So far Kerry has everything everyone has asked for set aside for us all.
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 148
Greg, my Atreano did well for three years. The breba crop happened once and fell off, but the main crop has always done well. This year I thought it had died. The tips of the branches started to green up and then stopped. In May I took lots of cuttings because I thought it might work with the dormant wood. About 4 weeks after I took the cuttings the fig started growing again. I think maybe it's because I had cut it back a little, thus allowing some root die off. I don't know if it will set fruit this year soon enough to ripen, but I am glad it didn't die. And I did two of the cuttings to grow just by sticking them in wet potting soil in my garage, with minimal light.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 539
Sue, have you root pruned it yet? I know every few years potted plants tend to like a good root pruning along with some fresh soil to stay healthy...at least that's what all the citrus and fig growers I talk to say. A few of my citrus plants are due for this treatment, but my figs get a root pruning every year when I lift them from the garden. I'll probably give them a slight turn this year to line the pot's side holes up a little differently with their root systems.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 512
Not sure if anyone has seen this :
http://mysare.sare.or...­
Susan Hopper T.
user 14357734
Portland, ME
Post #: 7
Hi Greg, If there is still room and time, I would like 1: Sal's GS - 5", Marseilles Black VS - 5", Ronde de Bordeaux - 5" pots, and Florea - 5".

Than you, Susan
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 149
Hi Greg, I haven't root pruned it. I had just read about that over this past winter. Before, I would just put it in bigger pots every year. When i tried to take it out of the pot this spring, I couldn't! So I left it and I think that's why it died. Then when i pruned it a little to take the cuttings, I'm assuming what happened is it caused root die off and allowed it to grow again. that's why reading about the pots with the holes toward the top was so interesting an idea to me! Learning all the time.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 541
Susan, just heard back from Kerry...you're all set.

Dave, that's pretty much the way to go if you want to grow a local supply. Thank you for that post. The plants are super small in that study...wish the grant would require an update 5 and 10 years out. I'll have to read more closely, but I didn't see them use a winter cover of white plastic to help keep the plants dormant during the winter...maybe not needed? Elliot Coleman has two nice figs in his unheated greenhouse which is just clear plastic.

I have my pickup time set for this Saturday from Kerry. It will work really well for me to do a transfer by the "South of the Border" restaurant at the Maine Mall. I'll be in my silver Toyota Yaris...the one that's full of figs! It would be best for me to be there between 4-5 Saturday afternoon. Drop me e-mails to let me know if that will work for you all or not.