add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Wood Chuck Capture/Removal

Wood Chuck Capture/Removal

user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 301
I woke this morning to find it pulling/munching on my food crops. UG!
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 16
Walk lightly and carry a BIG stick.
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 17
Fox urine or coyote urine are good deterrents. A fox and coyote will not pass up a good woodchuck meal, if the opportunity presents itself. FYI: Domesticated dog pee does not work. Woodchucks are smart varmints and they know the difference and I have seen one attack a fully-grown Husky.

To effectively utilize the urine deterrent, make sure you wear latex gloves, safety glasses, and work clothes. Squirt a little on a stick or a "cubed" sponge. I prefer sponges or a piece of a clean, dry rag. Throw the slightly, sodden cube or rag piece into their hole. DO NOT STICK YOUR HAND INTO THEIR HOLE. There is a strong risk of loosing a finger and / or contracting rabies, if you get bitten. Don't bury your sponge cube when you refill their hole. It takes about 1 week for them to get the hint. If after a week the hole does not "un-dig" itself, you have succeeded!

If after a week the woodchuck(s) decide they're going to establish a beachhead, I resort to gopher "smoke" bombs. Woodchucks usually have 2 ground holes. Cover up the exit hole with something heavy. Merely light the fuse, toss in the grenade (I wish) down their hole, then quickly place a board or something heavy on top of the opening.

After several minutes, the deed will be done. Refill their holes one last time.

Fox and coyote urine, as well as Varmit Smoke Bombs, are available at the Paris Farmer's Union. The smoke bombs are NOT for children or irresponsible adults! They produce a concentrated, short-term, toxic effect.

Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 27
We've been using a large Hav-a-Hart trap, baited with fruit. They love it, and then we find a responsible place far away (at least five miles). As long as it is not near a farm or residences, I don't usually have a problem releasing them.
David S.
Washington, ME
Post #: 950
As previously mentioned relocating usually makes them someone else's problem. If you go the trapping route, realize that they really really stink of musk and will need to have some plastic or something underneath the trap as they are likely to urinate or defecate. The trap may smell bad after that.

You might try using milorganite fertilizer in your garden too. It's organic and has a rowdy smell most animals do not like.

David Spahr
user 87611852
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 19
David is correct. However, what most people don't realize is that Milorganite is the composted, municipal waste of Cincinnati, or one of those other mid-western cities. smile