The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Large pond/Natural Pool

Large pond/Natural Pool

Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 28
Hey all. We're having our permablitz in September, but there are a couple of things we need to do before hand. One of those things is renting machinery to dig a giant hole for our pond. We've discovered that we didn't have quite as high a ratio of clay as we thought, but were still thinking to avoid a plastic liner. So, we were wondering if anybody had any experience with using sodium bentonite as a natural sealant. We'd heard we could possibly put it down, and then use our ducks for a couple weeks to compact it. Also, we were thinking of making this a natural swimming pool instead. So, any tips would be great. Or if anybody is semi-pro/super knowledgeable about this sort of thing, maybe we could work out some sort of barter where you consult with us to get this built. Either way, thanks all!!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 951
If you line it or seal it, it won't ever become a natural pond. That can be what you want but maybe not. I dug a pond at my house that holds water pretty well. No lining. My foundation drainage ditch refills it as does spring runoff. My pond is certainly natural but full of all the weeds natural ponds get. I often wonder how some of it got there. Some I am responsible for.

When digging my pond, the digging stopped when water was struck in the deep part. Within 10 minutes there was a water bug. I was real surprised but then I learned that waterbugs can fly.

David Spahr
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 952
My pond is essentially like a rain barrel since the water that drips off the roof of my house filters through the gravel backfill of my foundation then makes it's way to the pond.

David Spahr
Emily D.
user 87010622
Turner, ME
Post #: 1
hi, I don't have h experience with this but one method I've learned about is called gleying. you could certainly use your ducks for this method, but I hear it is difficult to gley vertical walls, so if the pond is terraced or has anything other than a gradual slope it may be difficult. gleying basically requires the same principles as sheet mulching, but you'll need to use bricks or rocks to weigh down the final cardboard layer before fill ling with water.