addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › plantings around a black walnut

plantings around a black walnut

Mary
marygee
South Berwick, ME
Post #: 485
So, we've moved out of suburbia to 2 1/2 acres in South Berwick. Hooray! Some fruit trees/grapes/elderberries/gooseberries/c­urrents/mulberries are already here.

But my question is about the beautiful large black walnut tree in the yard. Next to where the grapes (concord and two types of table grapes), and the edge of the veggie garden was/will be.

I am aware of the jugalone issue. However, since we're still in the unpacking stage, who knows where my Edible Forest Garden and other permaculture books are! :) Can anyone tell me what are some compatible plants I could add as a barrier? I'm concerned it may not matter with some of the grapes, since they are so close. But, for some reason I seem to recall there are some plants that can be used as a barrier of sorts. Like on the edge of a black walnut guild.

Thanks for any suggestions!