The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Worms for composting

Worms for composting

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,
I am looking for worms to start a composting bin. Does anyone have some or know where I should get them?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 76
Since you can't do this till spring, going to a store that sells bait is easy enough. They usually sell "trout worms" (red) that are composters and Canadian Nightcrawlers. Other than that, there are plenty of places on the net to buy worms cheaper if you want a lot. Be aware that "European Nightcrawlers" are pretty much the same thing as red worms. I bought some from a place in CT. I tried raising them in a plastic tub in my cellar. They certainly will try to escape and do not live up to their billing as reproducers. Better off putting them outside.

David
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 27
Mark Follansbee at WormMainea can get you started with worms, advice etc. Go to http://www.wormmainea...­.

Don't do what I did and drown your worms. Yuck! If you get them, I'll send you my fieldnotes from an interview with him on indoor, year-round vermiculture.

Blessings, Merry
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 198
Afton - there are a few people in the group doing worm bin composting right now and they might be able to supply you with some worms at an upcoming meetup (avoiding the chance of freezing shipped worms in transit this time of year). You could check with Elaine, Susannah or Sue McCormick via meetup "email" icon....

I should also say that I had great luck with worms outside *when* I lived in the mild pacific northwest. In this climate I would stick to my basement, but even at that would excpect them to slow down when it gets too cool. If their desired conditions are met, they reproduce like mad in my experience.
A former member
Post #: 37
Afton,
Last time I was at F.W. Horch (729-4050) at 56 Maine Street, Brunswick (near Morning Glory Natural Foods) I thought they had some worms for sale. That was about a month ago. They were selling them at their booth at the Common Ground Country Fair- one small Chinese take-out carton was about $8 so maybe, if they still have them, the price is similar.

If they don't still have them, ask them about the man ( I think from Lisbon Falls) who will sell from a large vat in the basement where he works. He has done vermiculture workshops at Horch's before and they refered me to him when I was looking for worms.

Winnie
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
Hello:
Ordinarily we'd have worms-aplenty, but cleaned out 95% of our two worm bins in the Summer. The worms are slowly reproducing, but I don't think our stash is good enough to share, yet.

They used to sell worms (and probably still do) at the Urban Garden Center in Topsham. Take a left when you get off the 295 Topsham exit and it's about a 1/2 mile on the right. http://www.urbangarde...­

Worms are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 9
I will have to look at my worms and see if they're dividable. Johnny Affleck has worms also. He keeps them in a cupboard in the kitchen.