add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › A chance to avoid medical bankruptcy, what we aren't hearing about the Affor

A chance to avoid medical bankruptcy, what we aren't hearing about the Affordable Care Act.

Xiknawi M
user 8311780
South Portland, ME
Post #: 104
This a personal message to let you, any of us who do not have a plan through employment or have been dropped from insurance due to medical conditions, know the Medical Market site via the Affordable Care Act offers the possibility of affordable comprehensive insurance coverage at reasonable rates.

As a healthcare provider who was skeptical when this Act was first proposed, I feel it is a great step toward providing coverage for all. A holiday gift to millions.
There is government assistance with premiums even at $45,000 adjusted annual income. The government credit increases in a graded fashion as your income declines, such that at $12,000 income your premium is less than $60 per month for a good plan. At around $20,000 per year income and below you also qualify for a graded supplement which helps cover your deductible and co-insurance.
The policies have caps on total out of pocket expenses which go far to protect against the medical bankruptcies which are frequent today. NO questions about your health history, other than re smoking.
My phone calls for questions were answered immediately. No website delays.
They do ask for your personal data upfront.

The website is easy to follow, and will give you a link to the two insurers available here in Maine, or appropriate to your state. Here in Maine one is a non-profit coop, Maine Community Health. Their website is very helpful with graphics outlining the policies available at each of the metal levels, bronze to gold, how much premium credit the government will provide, and whether you qualify for cost sharing supplements.
You can enter data regarding age, estimated 2014 income, and dependents and see where you stand. You can play with different incomes to see how they impact the credits, supplements and plans available. This is helpful if you are not sure of future income. You can see any policy plan info in more detail with a simple click.

Please share this with anyone you know who might benefit. Hesitate to say, I suspect there is so much negative publicity because it has so much to offer. Heaven forbid a leader does something to profoundly help Americans. There is someone you know who will find this a gift, please share.

I see this as a move toward a healthier nation. Personally, I will now be getting some health issues addressed which I had put off indefinitely due to lack of coverage by my former expensive catastrophic plan.
At the same time I feel there is much work yet to be done. I hope to screen "The Health Care Movie", about a better system for less, perhaps on "movie night" this winter.

Warm and meaningful Holidays to all,
Sandra J.
user 77197852
Gorham, ME
Post #: 4
In general I strongly support the A.C.A. It's way past time to extend good coverage to many people who couldn't afford it before. But there's a hitch I didn't know about till yesterday when someone I know well tried to sign up on the government website and he discovered that his income is too low (LOW!) to qualify for a subsidy. I don't know exactly what the minimum is, but with an income below the official poverty level, he was ineligible for a subsidy! How's that?! Is this related to good ole' Gov. L. refusing the federal subsidies for Medicaid? Or is this minimum eligibility amount built into the A.C.A. for all states? If the latter, it's just wrong. If the former, let's work on it.
Xiknawi M
user 8311780
South Portland, ME
Post #: 105
Good question. The idea, IMO, is that at the poverty level medicaid would kick in and cover you, $11,450 is the bottom of ACA coverage if I recall.
Yes, Gov L is denying people under this income the opportunity to have coverage.
Talk with your state reps. There may be a push to get this thru. Writing this as I leave for work, so would like to research further. For the rest of folks there is still time to sign up for 1/1/14 start. And even if not by then, you can still sign up for coverage to start early 2014.
Rachel L.
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 45
I am in the too low category and really not ready for medicaid hassles. It is a dilemma.