addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 251
Hey all,
I'm considering doing an earth oven as a part of open air dining area on my parcel.
Does anyone have any experience with a creation of this type?
A former member
Post #: 43
No, but I've come across some good articles lately on how to build them. Let me know if you want me to make you copies and I'll send them to you. If you build one, I'd definitely be interested in helping as it's on my list of 'to dos' too.

Winnie
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 216
Hi Winnie! David and I helped build this earth oven in Whitefield:
http://permaculture.m...­

Of course it doesn't have to be this shape;)

...and David is an old brick-oven baker from way back...

We have all the field notes and time-lapsed photos from building the Whitefield one and would love to help you with this. We are planning to do either an earth oven or brick oven in our yard but won't get to it until 2009...
A former member
Post #: 44
Thanks Lisa. I'm not sure what my staging sequence will be yet.( ie. when) The next step will be to help someone build one!

Winnie
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 218
Sounds good. I strongly recommend obtaining the following book from your local vendor:
http://www.amazon.com...­

It's an affordable, regionally-appropriate model made with local materials. You can get wicked high-tech with this stuff, but don't need to if you don't want to. This is the type of oven that I have experience building, except we used a wet sand form instead of wood cribwork for the "negative space" that ends up being the inside of the oven.

Anyway, if anyone on these boards would like to take the leap, we can organize a bread oven building workshop at your house for this spring or summer and people can get some experience.

Best,
Lisa
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 28
Boy...

That would be a fun project I would definately consider having here...depending on the materials I would need to get.

I'd also like to make an herb spiral, perhaps.

Thanks,
Tree
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 87
Dear Dave,

Those of us who took the Yeltons' Permaculture Course in Brooks Maine last May/June, 2007, also worked on an outdoor oven.

We included cat-a-ninetails in the clay mixture, and when we ran out, we used dandeliions. In addition to the other "ingredients," like sand etc., I also remember Julia saying that we needed to use some pottery clay (We got them in bags, -- what potters use,) and not rely solely on the clay on one's property as they did in Whitefield, because it eventually cracked.

Elaine