align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › silly sheet mulching ???s

silly sheet mulching ???s

Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 14
Not really a sheet mulching question, but related (I think):

I've decided to use biodegradable mulch of the kind that you roll onto a garden. Johnny's has a couple of bio-degradable mulches, one paper and the other corn-starch based. Has anyone had any experience with either? While I'm sure the paper mulch will bio-degrade (6-10 weeks is advertised), it doesn't warm the soil quite as well as the corn-starch mulch (which is supposed to biodegrade in 4 - 6 months).

I'd like to get the corn-starch mulch, but am a little wary as to the claim of complete bio-degradability. Any experiences or suggestions? My plan is to use this mulch for one season, then sheet mulch on top of it in the fall.

Ted
A former member
Post #: 96
I have no experience but found this site that may help:

http://64.233.167.104...­
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 259
Ted - I don't have experience with it myself but i am curious... Perhaps you can do part of your beds with that and part with the newspaper method and see if there's a discernable difference.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 15
Mary,

Thanks for the info - it's very interesting and helpful.

Lisa,

Interesting thought to try both...I'll have to think on it. The thing is that I'm a little unprepared with materials for sheet mulching. My poor pickup truck finally gave up the ghost last year and I have no way of hauling the necessary materials.

Hmm...more to think about.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 34
And here I am...hopefully gaining access to a pickup in the next month for the rest of the year.

We'll see...and it sure would be a big help in acquiring seaweed and such.