add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Adapting ASIAN domed bio-gas digesters to Maine's harsh climate...are you bu

Adapting ASIAN domed bio-gas digesters to Maine's harsh climate...are you building or replacing a septic system?

A former member
Post #: 84
Katahdin Energy Works has just started a project to adapt several proven Asian domed bio-gas digesters to Maine's harsh environmental and regulatory climate.

They are used extensively for rural farmsteads producing gas for heating and cooking, and a high N value fertilizer. The solids can even be composted.

We are improving the designs with modern construction technology that works well in Maine, and refining it with modern gas handling and storage equipment.

This summer we expect to hold a construction workshop and then build a few on small organic farms and an island.

If you are planning to build a septic system; or a GREEN home, then you must consider using a waste deposal system which recycles nutrients and contains harmful greenhouse gases--current humanure composting toliets release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, especially methane which our digester captures in a sealed container and uses in water heater or stove!

If you'd like to host a construction workshop; or be considered for a BETA unit please contact me at at 729 6090 or by replying. Ideally, you should have a 'leaky' or non-compliant septic system, perhaps on an island; or should have a small organic dairy farm with a measurable supply of cow/goat/chicken manure and other agiculture waste to mix into the digester.

This is grant supported and we are going to use a third party lab. to monitor the functioning of the digester; obviously we'd like both 'ideal' site conditions, but also want a fair test of the technology.

So if you've got plans in progress and want more details--we have sketches, call or message me.

Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 2
That sounds very interesting, I'm planning of beginning construction of a new green home this year... we had planned on a regular composting toilet, but this sounds like a very good alternative. How much would it cost to construct one of these? We will be starting a small chicken flock this spring (~20 birds) if that makes a difference.