The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › PVC Pipe trellis?

PVC Pipe trellis?

zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 24
What i have in mind is to use 3 and 4" PVC pipes to build a trellis for things like grapes. I have a PR arbor, but even though PT no longer uses Arsenic in the preservative, I wonder if it might actually be safer to use PVC piping...perhaps sched 80 electrical, though the fittings might have to be plumbing to do the cross T's, etc...

Would this be durable enough?

any other suggestions for alternativve, durable trellises?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 85
Rebar makes a great trellis and would be far stronger than pvc that would flex and may eventually collapse.

Rebar is easily bent and shaped. Lash it together with thick copper wire.

David
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 27
That's an idea!

The PVC would have cost me around 150 for a 10' high pyramid. The Rebar should cost me closer to $40 or $50

Or perhaps I can make a hybrid trellis with cedar 2x4's, rebar and copper piping....

Gives me some ideas to churn
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 252
I agree with David. Rebar is the way to go, plus you can get pretty creative with it....and it's recyclable and, most likely, contains some recycled content.

See Elaine's trellis here:
http://permaculture.m...­

...which was built on the model of Eliot Coleman's grape trellis up in Harborside, ME (I have some photos of that one somewhere if you need something to model...it's really nice looking and rustic).

Cheers,
Lisa
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 12
any other suggestions for alternativve, durable trellises?

Bamboo? It's light, it's durable, it's strong, it's recyclable, it's attractive.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 40
I just found a nice thread on gardenweb explaining how to make a cattle panel into a nice arched trellis. Anyone know where I can get a cattle panel or 4? Apparently the total material cost for each is around $30. Once I find them, I need to figure out how I can get the 16 foot panels home!!!!

Mark-
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 66
So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the cattle panel trellis route. Each panel is around $18, and these things are pretty sturdy. Each panel is 16' long by 52" wide. While they are heavy gauge steel, they can be bent in the middle to make the apex of the arbor. You can either cut the bottom horizontals off to stick the ends in the ground, OR you can put metal T-fenceposts in the ground and attach the panels to those.

This is a quick and inexpensive way to build a trellis that looks tidy, yet is very useful.

Now I just need to get the 3-4 panels I want to buy home!