The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › help with resources for compost, rain barrels, saw mills?

help with resources for compost, rain barrels, saw mills?

Geri G.
user 124952402
South Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Can anyone help with ideas/resources for compost - need lots of it to cover lots of lawn! We have gutters and 4 places for rain barrels - i do know of the "barrel guy" in Scarborough but wonder if others are less expensive? And looking for hemlock or spruce boards for raised beds - not familiar with saw mills in Portland area? If anyone has any ideas of where to go for any of these I would appreciate the help! Geri
Dan P.
user 57157522
Center Strafford, NH
Post #: 35
This is a long overdue comment about rain barrels and I'm looking forward to the discussion. If you collect water in rain barrels from a roof covering of composition shingles, will the water contain any oily residues? Whether the roof is new or old,these shingles deteriorate and I can't see how this is a good source for water when you are trying to avoid hydrocarbon inputs to begin with. I know in Arizona,etc. collecting water this way is common,but they usually have a tile roof.
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 202
For compost I recommend wilshore farm - 797-4287 you can also get free compost from the yarmouth waste water treatment plant if you not against using sludge based compost. Its available every 3-5 weeks, call for schedule (207)846-2415 you need to pick it up or hire a dump truck if you want a large amount.

I think the barrel guy might be your best bet, but you could always try craigslist. I have gotten barrels at the dump, but they aren't generally clean so you need to be picky and careful.
I usually buy lumber from maschinos, they have cheap, local hemlock, i use rough 2x12 or 2x10, free delivery if you order enough / are close enough. http://maschinolumber...­
Paul
user 7662870
Portland, ME
Post #: 15
You can purchase rain barrels very economically through the Portland Water District.

http://pwd.org/enviro...­
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 203
buying from PWD is good compared to buying retail, but a 55 gallon barrel from the barrel man is about $20 and the parts to put a hose spigot add $5-10, so it is roughly half the price to put your own together.
Kerry D.
KerryDunn
Portland, ME
Post #: 11
I really, really need a new roof, and asphalt shingles are all I can afford. But I want to have rain barrels (from the Barrel Man for $35 for barrel +fittings). All of this is happening in the next few weeks, yikes! Will first flush system and filters help, or am I doomed to poison my garden?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,389
There is no simple answer regarding roof materials and rain water collection (surprise). Here is a good discussion and some data so that we can each make an informed decision about what we are comfortable with doing.
http://www.thecenterf...­