add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › wild raspberry plants

wild raspberry plants

user 4397109
New Gloucester, ME
Post #: 9
Help!!! They're invading the living green spaces around my house. Any suggestions for taming or getting rid of them will be greatly appreciated.
user 55296152
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
If it is possible to dig them up and transplant them I would happily take a few off your hands.
David S.
Washington, ME
Post #: 1,023
When managed correctly wild raspberries are by far the best tasting berries. Cultivars contribute to genetic erosion. You need to enclose the outer edges of the roots or cut around the patch with a shovel then pull up the runners. Mowing over them repeatedly sort of works but pulling runners is the only good solution. Most runners will have multiple plants along the line that can be distributed to people who want to grow them or transplanted to a lower impact area. You could burn them I guess.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 687
Deb, I like David's idea of enclosing the roots. A plastic rhizome barrier set 8" deep with a bit sticking above the soil surface and angled slightly away from the raspberries ought to do the trick. When roots hit the barrier they'll follow the angle upwards towards the air and then stop.