The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Plants to Share or Plants in Need

Plants to Share or Plants in Need

Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 149
Sounds good, Mark. Looks as if you can order tomorrow then!

I wasn't going to go to the May 24 herb spiral workparty, though I'd like to. We'll see how things go. If I don't those who go could pick up the comfrey roots from you for a closer pick-up for me.

Thanks for placing the order!

Elaine
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 154
Fiddleheads are out now. They grow great in a shade garden BTW.

David
A former member
Post #: 3
Hello All,

I am a little behind everyone else. I hope everyone is finding the plants they need. I need some help finding places to buy compost and straw in the Greater Portland area. I have read past message boards from last season. So, I saw mention of Jordan's farm and Bensen's farm in Gorham. Are these still good places to get compost and straw? If so, what is Bensen's number?

Also, I thought I saw mention of Ossipee Garden's in Gorham...am I dreaming? Thank you all for your help. I was able to go by Elaine's house today. Her gardens are beautiful! I am looking forward to meeting you all!

Take care,
Jen
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 163
Dryad's saddle mushrooms are out now. Look on dead wood esp. elm near water. Good to eat if you find a tender one.

http://mushroom-colle...­
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 164
Wow! Be sure to check out you local high school greenhouse! I went to the Medomak Valley High School greenhouse right next to the baseball field where my son plays and was able to get three chestnut trees for $6 each! I got a rosa rugosa for $1! I got an American chestnut, Chinese chestnut and a hybrid Chinese/American. They had more things I did not have time to check out. I'm going back.

It was recommended to get 3 trees. You need two for pollination and an extra in case one expires.
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 34
Its getting a bit late in the year to be transplanting, but i think its still ok for most things. I'd love to get a few more things in the ground this year, but my budget for plants is long gone.

Plants I am looking for as divisions:
Lupins
Baptisia (wild indigo)
Pasque Flower (pulsatilla vulgaris)
Ramps (Allium tricoccum and A. burdickii)
Black Cohosh (cimicifuga racemosa)
Blue Cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides)
Trilliums (esp Trillium grandiflorum and Trillium undulatum)
Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)
Milkvetchs (Astragalus spp)

Plants I would like cuttings of (to root):
Goumi (Elaeagnus multiflora)
Sea Buckthorn "Dorana Dwarf" (hippophae rhamonides)
Pygmy Pea Shrum (caragana pygmaea)

Plants I have to trade as divisions:
Lady's Mantle (lots)
Valerian (lots)
cat nip (lots)
Tansy (tons)
Sweet woodruff (few)
Geraniums (i think its Geranium cantabrigiense) (lots)
Anise Hysop (one)
Teasle (few)
Kousa Dogwood (1 2nd year seedling)
Japanese Maple (many seedlings)

Plants i have to trade as cuttings:
Highbush blue berries (various cultivars)
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 177
Aaron, I think I have some wintersown Astragalus. I'll check this week and see how it's doing. Happy to share a hunk if it's reasonably dense.

Mark-
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 181
Everyone who wanted comfrey...it has arrived. I'll be potting it up for the time being and will heel the pots in. Let me know how and when you'd like it. Perhaps at the next meetup, or work party?

Also, if you could refresh me as to how many you wanted...

I have 26 total.

Mark-
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 162
I had ordered 3, Mark. Could we talk over the phone to arrange pick-up?

Or, -- I think Lee & Tom ordered too. They live near you and work near us. Perhaps we could pick it up from them?

Elaine
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 197
Elaine...I am flexible. tel: 222-2288