The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › citrus peels in compost?

citrus peels in compost?

deb k.
user 8829588
Portland, ME
Post #: 21
I'm reading contradictory advice online regarding citrus peels in compost. Many say that it will acidify the compost, which those from the south say is a good thing as they have alkaline soil, but what about us Northerners with acidic soil? Makes me wonder if the culinary term "what grows together goes together" in some way could apply to agriculture as well, perhaps what we have available to us locally for composting is what is optimal for our soil? Sorry to get off track, my question is simply should I throw citrus peels in the compost?
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 690
Deb, I compost mine all the time. Unless they are a sizeable percentage of your pile I don't imagine you'll be able to see a difference in your compost pH. If the peels are big, like grapefruit halves, then I do chop them up a bit to aid in breakdown.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,388
I compost citrus no problem. I compost pretty much everything. In fact, you might not want to take a nap in my yard;)