add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › One Way to Energy Independence?

One Way to Energy Independence?

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 335
I found this interesting....thoughts?

King drops wind power bomb

Former Gov. Angus King has challenged Maine to build an enormous off-shore wind farm to power the entire state.

At a speech he gave yesterday at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, King said the state should build a $15 billion network of 1,000 wind turbines 26 miles off the Maine coast to break the state's dependence on oil and thwart an economic catastrophe, the Portland Press Herald reports.

He said by 2020, oil could soar to $300 a barrel. "Filling up your [car's gas] tank will be $200. To fill up the [heating oil] tank in your basement with oil -- $2,000," the paper quoted King as saying.

King is working on two wind farm projects proposed for the mountains of Western Maine.
Gorham, ME
Post #: 122
Interesting idea, but I am not a big fan of focusing on single solutions. Perhaps 3 or 4 solutions to ensure stable energy supply. Certainly, wind power seems like a reasonably economical and viable source of energy, tho.
Ted M.
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 32
While I'm all for renewable sources of energy, I agree with Mark that several solutions will be needed (though, we can't wait for all to appear - let's get going on whatever's available!).

Even better, IMO, is individual power. Distributed, individual solutions, will give us the most independence and democratization. Energy will be an increasingly important and expensive factor from here on out. The more independent we are going forward, the better. There have been some advances (no thanks to Bush) in small-scale renewable energy production. Hopefully, the next president will be enlightened enough to commit serious money for research in alternatives and renew tax incentives so that individuals will be able to afford to install renewable energy systems on their homes.
David S.
Washington, ME
Post #: 136
I have seen interesting things about power from manure. I saw a show where a dairy farm coverted their manure into power and were able to supply to 120 homes around them.

The organic farmers and the green power people will likely be engaging in a royal rumble over cow shit!

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 359
Ted, I agree...that while big projects may play some role, I am much more if favor of "distributed infrastructure" which contributes to overall relocalization and reliance.

Looks like some of this (with regard to wind anyway) is happening in Orono...­

David - I am really interested in the idea of home-scale and/or neighborhood/village scale digesters. This is already working in many parts of the world and I think Frank Heller on this board will be able to tell us more about the latest developments in this arena.