add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › How Walkable is Your Neighborhood?

How Walkable is Your Neighborhood?

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 343
This is pretty cool, although the walking "destinations" it indexes are a little out of date. I'm about 2 miles from downtown Portland but my score still comes up pretty low.­
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 40
My Score: Walk Score: 0 out of 100

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 344
Yeah - Hollis isn't exactly a hotbed of pedestrian activity:)
Gorham, ME
Post #: 131
I'm number 2 of 100!!!

Is that good?
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 20
I got a 35, but it's not very accurate in some of the mileage. The park is supposedly closer to me than the shopping center, and I know that's wrong. Also, I think I should have higher than a 35 because so much is within walkable distance.
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 117
We're at 49. Not surprising.
Zengeos, the best is 100.
Gorham, ME
Post #: 133

So Elaine...Does that mean I don't have a walkable neighborhood?

Can't have it all I guess.

Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 24
This thing is rather inaccurate because a lot of businesses are not logged into google maps, but i feel that my score of 0 is not far off (there is a corner store/diner about 2.5 miles away that i have walked to, but i wouldn't walk there, because its easier to bike.)
Ted M.
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 36
32 here, but like Sue, I question some of the accuracy.

Maybe if I lived in a tent in the town commons between the library and the mall with the 7-11 around the corner...?
A former member
Post #: 76
It says I'm a 5 but I know for sure their distance calculations are wrong because I've clocked it. I'm twice as far as they say I am so does that give me a score of 2.5? I takes me an hour to walk into Freeport and an hour back and when they added the turning lane to get onto 295 S a few years ago, they eliminated the lane that allowed pedestrians to SAFELY get across the overpass bridge. They planned for cars not people.