The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › How best to use seaweed?

How best to use seaweed?

Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 37
A friend just gave me a couple of bucketfulls of seaweed. I know it's great stuff but wonder how best to use it. Should I just throw it on my garden beds or put it in my compost pile?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 349
Yes. All of that.

Good for making compost. Good as a layer in sheet mulching. Good as a top dressing to, allegedly, cut down on slug activity.
Dick H.
user 6105531
Portland, ME
Post #: 5
I take a roll of black biodegradable mulch paper, roll it out alongside the peas, and throw seaweed on it. The slugs hate the salt as the seaweed dries and the paper keeps the weeds down.
Good luck!
Dick
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 142
I am using seaweed waste from the carageenan plant as a top dressing for plants that slugs like.

It is a gray powder composed of boiled compressed seaweed mixed with pearlite.

Hoping it works. I have had a constant battle with the slugs around my Canada lilies and other stuff. I put some around where the Canada lilies and wood liles are growing. I'll let you know if it works.

I have been adding a bit of this to soil mixes I am making.

David
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 38
Thanks, all, for the replies. Sounds like seaweed is pretty versatile stuff!

Next question: Should I rinse seaweed before applying it to remove excess salt, or use as is?
A former member
Post #: 77
Hi Ted,
I don't rinse it anymore. I used to though. I've never had an adverse reaction that I was aware of from not rinsing. Also, when applied directly to your garden, it takes a couple of years for it to break down. It adds a wonderful dark rich layer.

Winnie
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 11
don't forget about leaving some to decompose in a covered bucket to use as seaweed tea!

and i like to use it as a mulch layer around trees, and as a thick mulch over fall-planted garlic (and then under straw).
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 41
Thanks Winnie and Alder.

I only have a couple of bucket loads of seaweed, so it's not enough to make a huge difference in my garden. I wonder about the tea - if I just let it set for a while, does it just rot into tea? I don't want to leave it for too long then open the buckets up to find I've grown the monster from the black lagoon!
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 16
let it sit in a bucket for a while, it will rot down and be rather powerful smelling, but super concentrated. then take some of that concentrate and dilute it to use as a tea/foliar feed.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 137
But doesn't that smell indicate it has become anaerobic and therefore harmful? I know that stinky-or-not-compost tea is a controversial topic.

Elaine