addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › You Probably Have Ethanol in Your Tank

You Probably Have Ethanol in Your Tank

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 382
Mainers Filling Up with Corn-Based Fuel (from MPBN)

Many motorists in Maine are now filling their cars up with a new blended gasoline called E10 - so-called because it's 10% ethanol. Corn-based ethanol's come in for a bit of a hammering this week: a growing number of lawmakers, including Maine senator Susan Collins, question its viability as an environmentally-friendly energy source and blame it for helping to drive up food prices. Maine's director of Energy Independence and Security says we need to decrease our reliance not just on oil, but on food-based fuels as well. Tom Porter has the story.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. See also: http://transitioncult...­
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 25
You know people don't really get it when you show that cartoon with the guy taking the corn from the starving child, and they laugh.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 385
Yeah, the response that some people have is somewhat alarming to me. As if no real connection is being made ... synapse one to synapse two ... anybody home? It's no joke.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 51
Synapse two?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 388
OK, that made me laugh Ted. But honestly, I don't want to berate anyone. However I am frustrated when we live in a world that conditions many of us to laugh at a cartoon (and an issue) like this.

Maybe it's "nervous laughter" of not wanting to really go into the reality of it. I can understand that, I guess. Oh well. People are where they are.