addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Brunswick Area Permaculture

Brunswick Area Permaculture

A former member
Post #: 4
At the June 10th meetup, after Lisa pointed out that Brunswick was the furthest north a meetup has been held, and that it was quite a commute, we briefly discussed the need for starting a sub-group for those of us in this area. Not only would we be able to attend more frequently due to a savings on both gas and commuting time, we could share our knowledge of local resources, collaborate in work sessions, and trade services, plants, tools, etc. I believe there are more of you in this area who were not present, and others who would join if they knew there was a local group. What do you think? Pilar
A former member
Post #: 81
Pilar,
Sorry that I was not able to make it to your meetup afterall or change my RSVP in time--I was playing catch-up after having been away and had to do a sort of 'triage'--bees, plants, chickens or your house. I hope to visit your site one day soon and am glad it was a productive meeting for you.
You already know that I am not personally interested in a subgroup because of the community of wonderful people I have already come to love via the Portland group. Not that I wouldn't get attached to a subgroup as well--it's just that since I'm halfway between Brunswick and Portland, I'll stick with my pattern of heading south. I usually group errands to Portland anyway. But that's not to say that a Brunswick sub-group wouldn't work. Gorham is just as far from Portland as Brunswick is BTW--it's just that there have been a lot of work parties in Gorham so sometimes it feels like it's a bit of a hike. Instead of doing a formal subgroup, it would seem that there would be a natural sorting out esp. if you increase the frequency of workparties so that there's usually something happening in one's particular area. Then those who are in close range can gravitate towards those events.
Hope this helps!
Winnie
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 439
Further to our discussion Tuesday night, I do think it would be a good idea to organize some "satellite" meetups in the Brunswick area. We have at least 5 or 6 people there who have been hardy enough to make the trek to Portland and beyond so I can only think it would be helpful to do more there with fuel prices being what they are.

I think one scenario that might work (but by no means the only one) is where 1 or 2 people in or around Brunswick take on somewhat of a facilitator (not "leader" per se) role to simply schedule and coordinate a half a dozen events per year (meetups and/or work parties, etc). I find that loose faciliation seems to work well...reflecting the interests of the attendees more than "leading" or directing things. I was thinking at one point that perhaps the Brunswick Sustainability Group might coordinate some similar type activities, but perhaps what we're talking about now could hook up with the BSG...not sure what their focus is at the moment. Otherwise continue to use our own Portland meetup site to schedule the stuff further north (I can give someone the ability to do that on our existing site). I can also give some tips if someone decides to take this on...
jenifer
user 6243572
Bath, ME
Post #: 1
At the June 10th meetup, after Lisa pointed out that Brunswick was the furthest north a meetup has been held, and that it was quite a commute, we briefly discussed the need for starting a sub-group for those of us in this area. Not only would we be able to attend more frequently due to a savings on both gas and commuting time, we could share our knowledge of local resources, collaborate in work sessions, and trade services, plants, tools, etc. I believe there are more of you in this area who were not present, and others who would join if they knew there was a local group. What do you think? Pilar

dear Pilar & all, I have been lurking in this Meetup for a while, learning form your posts and hoping to become an active member. I will be re-locating shortly to the Brunswick area and so would love to have a group close by. Please put me on your list of potential members. peace,
jen
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 65
If at some point there are enough people in the Brunswick area and north who would be interested in a sub/satellite group, it may be a good idea. However, while I'm not sure how many of us in the current Portland group are in the Brunswick area, I get the sense that we just don't have the critical mass needed to generate much interest or momentum, nor do we have the necessary experience. So, for now, I'm interested in staying with the Portland group.

P.S. This does not mean that we can't share experience and resources - I think this is a good idea for everyone to be doing.

P.P.S. It seems like part of permaculture is using resources wisely. So, it goes without saying that sharing rides to meetups is a necessary part. We already do this, it works, let's keep doing it!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 441
... I get the sense that we just don't have the critical mass needed to generate much interest or momentum, nor do we have the necessary experience....

Good points all around Ted. But don't forget this Portland thing started with 4 people meeting at my dining room table! smile

So, I think if the energy/critical mass is there to make this happen, it will happen and I'm happy to provide support as needed. If not, it's OK...it will happen when it's ready to happen.
A former member
Post #: 144
I believe we will be starting a group in the Whitefield area before too long. We moved to this area knowing that there is already a group of like-minded people living here, and my daughter's best friend just bought acreage up the road with several other friends from the Boothbay area interested as well. I wouldn't be surprised to find that many small groups are beginning to form all around the planet. It seems to be the time for that.

We have not yet had an open house to meet all of our new neighbors, however I have mentioned to a few that we may need to have a "barn saving party" before too long. The big old barn ( http://www.flickr.com...­ ) is bowed out several feet to one side in the middle and will eventually collapse if it can't be stopped. We've had a man look at it and he says that it will take a lot of hand digging under the barn to dig down to frost level and put new supports in. It will be difficult work and most likely the holes will need to be constantly drained as they will probably fill with water.

But that's the first thing everybody asks: What are you going to do about the barn? And everybody is eager to help as well. I think that there is a real longing at this time to return to the security of knowing that we are part of a larger group that will lend help in times of need - not that it ever really died - one sees reports on TV everyday of neighbors getting together to help out people they don't even know in their times of disaster. That is the real "Homeland Security" that we should be working towards, not a Homeland Security that sees fit to lock people up in solitary confinement for years on end without even charging them with a crime.
A former member
Post #: 5
Well, I've been so busy hosting a series of events this week that I had not checked this link and am happy to see the response we've had. It seems as if therre are at least a couple of possiblities: organinzing a few work sessions/meetups up this way by using the Portland meetup. Another is to link in with the Brunswick Sustainable Group, whose meetings I have not attended because the conflict with my schedule. Following Ted's suggestion, we could always start up a link for carpooling from Brunswick, for sharing info about materials around Brunswick, etc. as it makes more sense to support and encourage the local.
Katherine
user 7423613
Durham, ME
Post #: 1
Hello all,

I just came across this discussion and thought I would at least add my name to it as someone who could be interested in a Brunswick group. Thanks.
Katherine
A former member
Post #: 4
Greetings all,
I am even further north in the Waterville area, and the commute and gas money to Portland is preventing me from attending meetings. At least Brunswick would split some of the difference and I might be able to attend more meetings? My hope is that more people hear about this and we need to start an even further north group! BUT I would love to support Brunswick for now.

Barbara