The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Who Would Swim in my Frog Pond?

Who Would Swim in my Frog Pond?

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 445
Well, some critter did, apparently. We came out the other morning and the solar pump had been moved and the pond plants that had been resting on the "shelf" of the pond had been upended into the deeper part...it was a big mud puddle instead of a pond. Not a big pond, mind you... only about 7 feet long and 3 or 4 feet wide. No more than 20" deep.

I wonder what kind of nocturnal animal would go for a dip?
A former member
Post #: 149
I'd guess a racoon. It could have been looking for fish or whatever it could find.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 190
That would be my guess too. That said, woodchucks are very good swimmers and can climb trees as well. Didn't you have some around? They are the biggest kind of trouble in your garden. Didn't I have a row of beans planted there?
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 202
You said it David, -- "the biggest kind of trouble!" A whole family of woodchucks is under our front porch. They've been feeding on 6 or 7 of our 8 liatris. Lucky for us the long fence around our garden, pond and hoop house is effective in keeping them out. But the babies can get through the vinyl wire fence opening until they gain weight. Luckily only one came in so far, through the newer part of the fence that hasn't been reinforced with chicken wire. When I screamed in surprise seeing what looked like a big rat s/he looked as frightened as I....just a baby....I could go on and on ...

Elaine