The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › is this tomato fruit drop?

is this tomato fruit drop?

alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 40
you know how tomatoes have a sort of "joint" where the blossom hangs from? well i have noticed on several tomatoes that this joint is yellow and in some cases has already fallen. the blossom at the end of these yellow joints is gray-brown and dead. i googled fruit drop and couldn't find any images representing what i'm seeing, but some research indicates that yes, this is tomato fruit drop. 3 causes include low nighttime temps (below 55), low light/cloudiness, and poor air circulation. these 3 factors makes sense considering the weather of late. (i have kept the greenhouse closed since it's been cool, thus no breeze).

so, my questions: does this sound like a correct diagnosis? anyone dealt with this before? and most importantly, when the weather picks up, nights warm up, etc will the blossoms cease to drop??? from what i've read one solution to this problem is to spray the plants with some type of fruit-setting hormone. i'm not interested in this!!

one thing i will do to hopefully remedy this is to open the GH during the day to improve circulation... however due to my setup (the plants are climbing on twine) i can't cover them w/ reemay at night.

thanks for your help!!
A former member
Post #: 154
My tomatoes have been out for a month and the nights have been below 50, but they are all blossoming and look very healthy. I'd guess you need to open that greenhouse. Good luck.

I'm doing an experiment this year in an attempt to warm the soil in my heavily mulched garden. Thinking about the rational for stones in a herb spiral, I put large stones around one of the pumpkins and sure enough, they get very hot on a sunny day. This year I put black plastic around 3 tomato plants, two cherry tomatoes which have always been the first to ripen for me and a Roma that I plan to save seeds from because it has been such a spectacular plant from the time it was just a seedling. Next year I plan to make 3 special places with large rocks for my tomatoes that I want to set fruit as soon as possible, and I can do away with the plastic altogether.
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 41
yes it's interesting, i have a few tomatoes outside in the open and i'm not noticing this issue, so i think it must be due to lack of circulation.

nice idea with the stones...i have read about using flat stones around celery to help retain moisture, but i imagine surrounding your cucurbits and other heat lovers with "stone paving" would reflect a lot of warmth and light to them. and it looks a heck of a lot better than that black plastic! i use a lot of seaweed in my garden, usually it is mulched over with straw, but i was wondering this year if i could use it as a replacement for black plastic as a heat sink. i am experimenting with my cucumbers in this fashion, and am hoping to get a load of seaweed to mulch the greenhouse plants as well.