The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Drooping Raspberries

Drooping Raspberries

Nancy
user 4011934
Portland, ME
Post #: 7
The raspberries I got this spring from FedCo were doing great, until yesterday, when I noticed the tips of branches on a couple of them were drooping. I thought they were thirsty, so I watered them, but they are no better, in fact, they seem worse today. I did some research and am wondering if they have root rot, and if there is anything I can do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nance
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 48
What is the soil like around them? Root rot tends to happen in clay soils or other soils that don't drain well. Other likely possibilities would be lack of water (sometime it can take a few days of watering for stuff to perk back up) or viral disease (i have no actual experience with this, but i hear they are prone to viral problems), viral problems can persist in the soil for years and can come from wild canes into nursery grown plants.
A former member
Post #: 96
Hi Nancy,
I forget which varieties I ordered from Fedco ( a mid-season red and also a golden) but so far so good. I have sand/silty soil.

Winnie
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 215
If you go look at those drooping tops I'll bet almost anything you will see two brown rings on the stem at the wilted area. Tis the season. New canes right? There are two types of fly that eat the rings around the stem disrupting sap flow. They lay an egg between the two rings that hatches into a small larva that enters the stem where the chewed ring scored the stem. It eats it's way through the pith of the stem to the root living there for a couple of years and then emerging as a fly to screw up your bushes again. Once the roots get eaten out your bush has a problem.

I wait till it happens in my yard then cut off the tops somewhat below the rings and dispose of them well away from the bushes by burning or composting or trashing. Be sure to examine the pith of the stem for worm holes and cut farther down if you see one. It turns out to be sort of natural pruning. If you cut the tops off you should have no problem with the bush. You have to be vigilant though. This process will go on for several weeks. In the end your canes will be pruned. No problem.

David
Nancy
user 4011934
Portland, ME
Post #: 8
YES! I just went out and looked. Sure enough, two brown rings on the stems below the wilted leaves. I will go and trim right away and hope to have gotten to them quickly enough.

Thank you Aaron, Winnie, and David for your concern, knowledge and advise! What a daunting thing growing food can be! What a great thing this message board, and this community, is!

Nance