The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Get Ready NOW for Harvesting Winter Salads

Get Ready NOW for Harvesting Winter Salads

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 493
For those of you interested in harvesting fresh delicious greens into the winter months, I highly recommend getting a copy of The Four Season Harvest and going right to the appendix with the planting dates chart. Depending on your average first frost date, pick the appropriate column and get your stuff in the ground! Many varieties want to be planted in July and August for harvesting well into winter.

We're still eating spinach we planted last September that overwintered in an unheated hoop house. Our winter salads were a true revelation!
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 44
Thanks for the reminder Lisa. It is amazing how long some greens will go on and on!
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 58
Hi Lisa,

I have trouble with my spinach bolting. How are you able to deal with that issue? Is it the variety, or...?
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 497
Well, our spinach did bolt but not vigorously or too early. Probably because it's in a bed that only gets sun after 11am (full sun in winter). Also as soon as it starts to rosette up, I snip those tops off for salads almost every day, perhaps delaying the inevitable bolting a bit.

I'll check the variety and report's an Italian variety, I think with arrow-shaped leaves.