add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Natural Gas Prices in Maine

Natural Gas Prices in Maine

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 496
Natural gas co. seeks higher rates

Northern Utilities, the largest distributor of natural gas in southern Maine, has asked state regulators to increase the midsummer rate by 17%.

Northern Utilities has argued in its filing with the Maine Public Utilities Commission that the increase is needed for it to cover higher-priced gas, which is getting more expensive as demand across the world increases. The company says that the price for natural gas for home customers will jump 15% to 20% over last year, the Portland Press Herald reported.

Northern Utilities says demand will also likely increase locally as people seek alternatives to heating oil. Gas would still be cheaper than oil if the PUC allows the rate increase.
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 43
Yes, I was very glad last winter that I heat with natural gas. It gives me a little breathing space to research alternatives for my house.