addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 236
Boletus bicolor has been one of the only high points of this year. I picked a large amount in Boothbay Harbor yesterday and have been finding them right along. They are best when the caps are half open and still dense. Bicolor does stain blue but usually slowly and it disappears. Flesh does not blue much at all when cut and is very yellow. Red stem is yellow at the top. Cap is usually deep red but fades to yellow brown with age. It allegedly affects some people negatively but I have never had direct experience of anyone having a problem. I hope you looked at my bicolor page.

http://mushroom-colle...­

Boletes can be very hard to identify. I can have trouble with them and on my mushroom board the experts on boletes sometimes don't agree. Stay away from red pores and dark blue stainers. Black stainers are also best avoided. Some are intensely bitter too. That said, most boletes are relatively safe.

Chanterelles can certainly grow in hardwoods too. Particularly oak, birch and beech. Almost never with maple. Chanterelles can find many trees a friendly place esp. conifers (any species). I'm sure I have found them under over a dozen tree species.

David
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 237
Chanterelles may be found with:

Spruce, white, red, blue, black, balsam fir, white pine, hemlock, oak, beech, birch, apple, and other trees and places you might not expect. Sphagnum mosses an lowbush blueberries near trees may have them.

David
Scott D
user 7715836
Buxton, ME
Post #: 3
Mushrooms are everywhere now!!! I'll take anyone out if they have location they would like to check. My schedule is busy yet flexible. I'm not a 9 to 5er so I can go during the week. So just throw out a time and forest and I'll see if we can do it. I sell to restaurants in Portland so I have good knowledge of edibles.
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 64
Hi Scott, How about next monday here in hollis?

Thanks,
Tree
Scott D
user 7715836
Buxton, ME
Post #: 5
Hey tree, what time were you considering?
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 65
Hi Scott....
well, just about any time would work after 9 am.

Thanks,
Tree
Beth
BethRich
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 12
I agree with Kiya on a scheduled foray around Portland - perhaps Lisa could get a meet up date scheduled once we have a date to get Dave on board? I live in Cape and my property borders Robinson Woods. I'd be glad to host it (for parking etc and a place to meet-up) if Dave would do it.
Dave - what works best for you - weekends or weekdays?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 241
Tree,

Did you pick those trumpets?

David
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 66
Hi Dave :)

I'm going to look for them today and scout other species.

There were lots of mushrooms, but I didn't see a patch of trumpets.

I'll be interested in your mushroom walk if it fits my schedule.

The more, the better, I think.

Thanks,
Tree
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 67
Hi David,

I found over 2 pounds of trumpets...and more were not quite mature.

I found, with them, what might be chantarelles...I 'think'...they've got veins instead of gills....forked....pretty strong aroma, but not apricots, to me...

I saw one like the two color bolete, but the stem was long and patterned. I didn't look further.
That was fun.

Tree

Oh, should I refrigerate them to hold them over a couple days?