The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Japanese Beetle "Fruit Leather"

Japanese Beetle "Fruit Leather"

Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 94
Yuk! That'll teach me to read the whole post before I try something. It was not tasty!
A former member
Post #: 100
Those wild primroses ( you know, the tall ones with the yellow flowers) are an attractor plant for Japanese beetles. Of course, the beetles are everywhere but there are more of them on the primroses so it's easier to tap them off into soapy water. Next year, I will be more deliberate about where I plant them, either AWAY from the garden or else right smack next to the plants I want to protect like the permaculture books suggest we do. Right now, I have a few volunteer primroses scattered here and there but wish I had been more discerning in their placement.

Winnie
Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 20
And they DO do the wild thing a LOT, and in groups, don't they??

Lori
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 95
And they DO do the wild thing a LOT, and in groups, don't they??

Lori

Phew, I'm glad to learn that my garden isn't the only den of iniquity... shock
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 234
Trust me Ted..yours defintely isn't the only one!

The little buggers are voraciously...buggering eac other in my garden! It's shocking I tell you!!

And darn it all..my poor grapes are...naked! They've exposed the plants...no leaves for protection!!!

Next year it's garlic planted around them.and other alliums to make things pretty..and more Hyssop and...wellplants they eat and die from indiestion eating!

Mark-
A former member
Post #: 103
Mark,
I didn't know about the hyssop death tonic for japanese beetles so thank-you. Right now, I'm going around my garden making mental notes about moving things around next year. I must start mapping and writing things down so I remember where to put things! Bees love hyssop BTW, especially anise hyssop so that adds another function for the permaculture principle of at least three uses for each thing. Hyssop = tea, bee forage and death to j. beetles.

Winnie
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 235
My purple flowering raspberries have been reasonably effective as a trap plant. Japanese beetles can eat them but cannot defeat them.

They are not on my grapes or primrose. They still get the cherry trees and other berry bushes. Oddly, they seem to know which of my highbush blueberry bushes have the sweetest berries.

David