The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Does anyone know of a source for seasoned firewood?

Does anyone know of a source for seasoned firewood?

Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 21
We have a brand new Tarm wood furnace with a catalytic converter, designed to have minimal emissions. Apparently the firewood we use must be very dry, and all of my usual sources have dried up! (sorry about the pun)

I'm panicking!

Lori
A former member
Post #: 106
Hi Lori,
This is a long shot because I'm not sure a. if they're taking new customers, b. if they deliver to Portland or c. if they're sold out. Try Reed's in Durham 353-4043 but the delivery date when I called a month ago was November. You'll have to leave a message because they're so swamped. We've gotten wood from him before and it's good quality.

Winnie
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 522
Lori - We got our wood from Maine Custom Firewood in Pownal or Durham. We got green back in the spring and don't know what they have left for this season.... Let us know how it goes; we may be able to track down something else for you.
Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 22
Thanks, guys. I'll try both! I have a sinking feeling that I may need to rent a truck and travel someplace rural and haul my own at this point! I had a guy in Waterboro all lined up, but then he turned out not to be very reliable. He still supposed to deliver a couple of cords but I don't have much confidence that he will follow through.

Yikes! I guess I will order some green wood this spring for next year.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 525
Yeah, we're essentially planning to have 2 years worth of fuel in the yard at any given time. I'd get green wood now and get it stacked for the following season.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 103
Lori,

I've gotten two cords (1 green, 1 seasoned) from Richard Dunbar in Richmond - 737-4078. Don't know what his sitch is or how far he'll travel, but it's worth a shot.

Ted
Lori P.
LoriPower
Portland, ME
Post #: 23
Thanks, all. I THINK I have found someone who will deliver seasoned wood in October. Meanwhile I'm taking your advice and ordering green now for next year!
A former member
Post #: 18
Oooh I need some too, anyone have any other suggestions? I tried the above-mentioned places but they were all booked thru December!