addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Lee
LeeWorkman
Gorham, ME
Post #: 12
Hi friends-

As many of you know, I just returned from a week in St. Bernard Parish where I sheetrocked and painted in order to make a home destroyed by Katrina habitable by Christmas. (No, I had never done sheetrocking, but turns out, it's easy!) It was an eye opening experience. I met the owners who are living in a FEMA trailer in front of their home and feel compelled to let you know about them. Currently there are 3 FEMA trailers on their short block of 5 homes. All FEMA trailers are being removed in January. My elderly couple are lucky because they'll be in their home in six weeks, but that's not the case for most people. There are hundreds of trailers everywhere you go.

Here's all I'm asking: the founder of the project I worked with is one of ten CNN heroes of the year. If she gets the most votes among the group of ten (no restriction on the number of times you can vote before Nov. 20th), she'll be awarded $100,000. That's eight more homes that can be gutted, remediated for mold, and sheetrocked.

Here's how to vote: Go to: www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/cnn.heroes/ ; Choose the “Vote Now” tab. Choose Liz McCartney by clicking on "Vote for Liz". Type in the security code and click on Vote.

If anyone wants more information, the group I worked for has an extensive site: www.stbernardproject.org

I stayed in a middle school which has been converted into a dormitory and is being run by Habitat for Humanity. I paid $25/day which included hot showers, unlimited computer use, and all my meals! It was a wonderful way to meet people including lots of locals who volunteer there. In case anyone would consider a visit or know someone who would, here is that link: www.habitat-nola.org/camp_hope If you think you can't do it, let me mention I met a couple celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary by volunteering for a week.

Hope I haven't offended anyone - I just can't keep this to myself.

Best, Lee
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 54
Lee, I think this goes along with what a Permaculturist is. I certainly cannot be offended by someone talking about helping people in need. Thank you for sharing and I hope Liz wins!
Sue
Lee
LeeWorkman
Gorham, ME
Post #: 13
Thanks, Sue. I meant to link this back to permaculture, but I hit the enter key by mistake before doing my edit.

Between our values of reaching out to others and not harming the earth, I also thinks there's a link. (Through no fault of their own, the people in the New Orleans area had their wet lands eroded. Without the protection of the wetlands to diminish storm surge, this was an accident waiting to happen. ) I'm grateful knowing all of you and believed many of you would be willing to help vote for Liz.

Thanks to all of you who have read this message!
francesco s.
user 3227838
Portland, ME
Post #: 37
I moved by the work you do Lee; thank you! I voted for Liz and it's easy.
Lee
LeeWorkman
Gorham, ME
Post #: 15
Thanks to everyone who voted for Liz: CNN has just announced Liz as the winner! The $100, 000 will be put to good use.
jenifer
user 6243572
Bath, ME
Post #: 4
I just went to vote - and too late! yet am very happy to see that Liz won...many inspiring stories, one deserving person who will put this money to great use.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 286
I had voted for Liz when I first got your email, Lee and am delighted that she won!!

Elaine