The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Natural building: Cordwood and Cob

Natural building: Cordwood and Cob

A former member
Post #: 6
Can anyone recommend a local expert or even experienced person on natural building?

I am building a ceremonial building on my land of cordwood and cob. It will be oval, 19 ft by 15 ft interior dimension.
I have Rob Roy's cordwood book, and have ordered Tony Wrench's book. His Round house in Wales is my model, with some differences.

A friend of mine is consulting, know something about cordwood and cob, but lacks experience, and I feel like I need more resource and experience behind the project. I am considering having the major cordwood building phase next summer be a workshop, so I really want some expertise in that case. I am also wanting to make sure I choose the right kind of wood and build the reciprocal roof strong enough to hold a turf roof and snow load.

I consulted an architect, who's interested, but his solution to snow load is steeper pitch and shingles not turf. That's not on the plan.

Who in Maine could I interview about consulting? Who on this list would like to be involved?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 1,077
I would recommend either Robbie Alden in Scarborough (you can reach him by sending a message to Leslie on this board) or Noah Wentworth of Evergreen Building Collaborative. I don't know what they're rates are but worth a discussion. You might have met Noah at the CGF.
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks Lori. I have been scanning the internet for answers to my specific design and material questions. Feeling saturated and not quite complete. I'll look up Noah at CGF this year, and look up Robbie too. They don't show up on the internet searches.

Any other recommendations, folks?
Thank you.
Shannon R.
ShannonRooney
Bar Mills, ME
Post #: 16
Hi there,
I have a friend up near Augusta who built a cordwood house - it's just lovely. If you want to give me your contact info, I can ask him to get in touch with you. He didn't use cob, but he did cut all of his own wood, etc. I've heard that next to cedar, pine is a good cordwood choice.
My husband and I are considering building a cordwood sauna - I'd love to hear about your experiences once you begin your project. :)
Shannon
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi Shannon, thanks, I sent you a direct message through meet up. Did you receive it?

LHouse
user 107039652
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
I realize this is a very old discussion, but I'm considering building a cordwood shed in the backyard to serve as a playhouse now & chicken coop when my son outgrows it. I'd love to hear what happened with these projects and if folks have lessons learned they're willing to share / advice?